Mmf Vs Wilton Fondant

Decorating By nsgstdnt10 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 9:55pm by AnitaK

nsgstdnt10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsgstdnt10 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:26am
post #1 of 16

hey guys...i'm pretty new to cake making and was curious as to what everyone thinks about MMF and store bought fondant. I've never made MMF or even seen it. I live in kentucky and it's usually humid here. Will humidity affect the way MMF sets up?? Does it get as stable as wilton's fondant for decorations?? And lastly, what do you all think about the taste? I personally don't like wilton's fondant, but like i said, never had experience with mmf before!!

15 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:39am
post #2 of 16

I use MMF all the time to cover cakes as well as decorations and i think it tastes great. I have only heard bad things about Wiltons fondant so would never ever use it lol

MMF is easy to use and i don't see a problem with it in heat or anything in my opinion. Should defiantly try it atleast once. There is also one called MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant i think it's called) and people say that's great too that you can also make at home.

If you want store bought go for something like Satin ice cose i have heard good things about that.

HTH

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:50am
post #3 of 16

Mmf is very inexpensive to make which is a plus and the taste is superior to both wilton and satin ice. I have had people that swore they never wanted a fondant cake due to the commercial brands and after tasting mmf they want nothing else. I live in florida and it withstands the humidity and heat fairly well. Give it a try cause you'll be glad you did. hth icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:55am
post #4 of 16

Wilton fondant sucks when it comes to eating it. I had to use it when I took the Wilton class and I'm glad that I did so I knew what the consistency was supposed to be. I've made MMF a couple of times but once I tried MFF I never looked back. If your looking to make your own try MFF. It's very easy to make, easy to work with and tasty to boot.

Here's a link for the recipe as well as a FAQ that Michele put together.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625616-michele.html+foster
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-michele.html+foster

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:12am
post #5 of 16

I use Satin Ice. Wilton fondant is disgusting.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:17am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I use Satin Ice . Wilton fondant is disgusting.

If you want to buy this is a great one to get.

nsgstdnt10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsgstdnt10 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 16

thanks guys!! i'll definately have to give it a try for my next cake. I have some black satin ice and i like that but it's VERY expensive where i get my cake supplies so i try to use that as little as possible icon_smile.gif

divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgstdnt10

thanks guys!! i'll definately have to give it a try for my next cake. I have some black and i like that but it's VERY expensive where i get my cake supplies so i try to use that as little as possible icon_smile.gif

I live across the river from Louisville and I use MMF. I haven't had any problems with it thus far -- and it tastes great! thumbs_up.gif

I've only used Wilton's fondant for class projects or decorations that I know won't be eaten.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 16

When I was going thru the Wilton courses I got the MMF recipe and loved it, I used it for a long time until I found the white chocolate version of MFF and it's all I use now. It's so versatile, geat consistency, and takes color perfectly. I use it for my figurines 1/3 gumpaste 2/3 MFF and it works great! Try it you'll love it.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 16

MMF is cheap, easy, fast and delicious! Wilton NOT.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 16

Satin Ice is pricey at my cake supply store too. It is a lot cheaper online at Global Sugar Art, even with shipping cost added. Careful of ordering dark colors in a high heat. Mine arrived very sticky.

Michele Fosters fondant recipe is pretty good, less messy than MMF, at least in my experiences.

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 16

Wilton fondant is disgusting, BUT I was in your shoes not too long ago and wanted to try fondant. I made my first batch of MMF and it flopped because I had no idea of what the consistancy was supposed to be. So I suggest to buy the wilton just to see what the fondant should feel like, but NEVER (I repeat, NEVER) eat it. It's so GROSS! Anyway, HTH!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 16

I agree that you should NEVER eat Wilton fondant. but it is a good idea to try it on a dummy cake or two before you start making your own. Their consistency is consistent icon_razz.gif~

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 16

I used to use Wilton fondant and even after flavoring it, it still tasted gross. I make my own MMF now, actually just made a batch last night and it's sitting in my fridge now. I will never go back to Wilton. MMF is a little messy to make but once you get the hang of it, it's so easy...Just remember, when they say grease your hands well, GREASE YOUR HANDS WELL...I didn't my first time and it was the biggest mistake!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 16

I've never used store bought fondant before. I used to make traditional fondant and MMF is not only easier to make, but it's cheaper and taste better. I know some people will say to make Michele Foster's fondant. I say try both. I just made both to compare. MMF was stiffer then usual. MFF had a nice smoothness to it. My husband liked the taste of MFF better, but by the next day when the flavors mellowed, we both liked the MMF better. Not only that, I had a heck of a time with MFF. I have never had a problem with any fondant before, and heard raves about MFF,I was NOT happy with it. I even added a little more glycerine to make it more pliable, rip, rip, rip. MMF is cheaper to make, just as easy to make, taste just as good (to me even better), but was much easier to work with and I liked the texture for eating better as well. I think it's prefernce thing. I say try both Michele Foster's Fondant and Macsmom's (thats the recipe I use) Fondant.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 16

I'm in the Nashville TN area and probably have about the same climate you have in KY. I make MMF all the time with no problems except the time I used Jet Puffed MM and I may have melted them too long - melt no longer than 2 minutes at 30 second intervals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%