Ganache, Buttercream, Fondanat, With Confusion

Decorating By doodledo Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 12:38am by Normita

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 9

After reading some posts I am confused about ganache. I know alot of people dont like the taste of fondant. I read where some use ganache instead. If using ganache do you still use buttercream? Do you use ganache and then fondant?

Thanks

8 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:55am
post #2 of 9

Well here are the options with covering cakes with those 3 that i know of:

- Just ganache
- ganache then fondant layer
- just buttercream
- buttercream then fondant layer

you could also jsut use fondant but i think that would be a bit 'dry' to eat and if people don't like it and you have the ganache or buttercream underneath they can just peel the fondant off and have something else left on the cake to eat

HTH

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 9

The ganache is used in place of BC when used under fondant. The taste is really good and it is easier to apply the fondant on hardened ganache than BC. You can also get really good sharp corners with ganache. This link talks all about ganache under fondant. It is pretty lengthy but you have to read it all in order to know the recipes and ratios. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Cheri316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheri316 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #4 of 9

I read where ganache is used as a filling between cake layers, wouldn't it be thin. I have use ganache but I poured it over a brownie, but never used between layers.

Normita Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri316

I read where ganache is used as a filling between cake layers, wouldn't it be thin. I have use ganache but I poured it over a brownie, but never used between layers.

To use as the whipped kind that would be used for fillings....you stick it in the refig and then whip it.

Cheri316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheri316 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:09am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for your help! I can't wait to try it. I love find new receipes for fillings.

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, thanks for the replies. I will read your link for ganache tonight.
Does ganache taste better on certain flavors of cake? And I assume that making a crusting buttercream for under ganache would be the best bet for a smoother look.

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 9

typically you wouldn't put buttercream under ganache. If you were going to cover a cake with ganache, you don't need anything under it...and the amount of cream in the ganache will determine the thickness of the ganache...typically, for a frosting, one would use equal weights of cream and chocolate, or slightly more chocolate than cream...but different people have different opinions/likes/dislikes on this. I usually use ganache on chocolate cakes...you can put ganache on a yellow or white cake, but the intense flavor of the cake can tend to overpower the delicate flavor of the cake. (In my opinion...and well...many people, with more experience than me, may think otherwise). Good luck!

Normita Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 12:38am
post #9 of 9

This is another link that has info on ganache. For the poured kind you use 1:1 ratio, and for the one that is used under fondant it is a 2:1 ratio. And if you use white chocolate it is a 3:1 ratio. And as mentioned before, you dont use BC if you are going to use ganache under fondant. You can apply ganache to any cake recipe you like!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=629106&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%