How Do I Make Choc. Frosting Really Dark?

Decorating By neecerator Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm by KristyCakes

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 7

Do I use brown food colouring? I would like a recipe that is fudgy and dark looking, not pasty light brown. Any suggestions? Thanks.

6 replies
not_a_desperate_housewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 7

What about adding extra cocoa powder? It's worked with mine. Good luck!

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 7

I'm certainly no expert, but are you using natural or dutch process cocoa? I know that dutch process is darker. I actually made some last night using the Hershey's special dark (it's a mix of dutch process and natural) and it came out pretty dark and fudgey looking. I used a lot, though.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 7

You might try Wilton's ready made chocolate icing in the one pound containers. I know it's not homemade, but it's a good stiff decorator icing that is a nice deep chocolate brown color and it tastes really good. Just try it! Otherwise, if you want to color your own I would go with Americolor chocolate brown soft gel.

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 7

I have tried using brown coloring, melted chocolate and natural cocoa powder and could never get it really deep brown. The thing that did the trick was Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder. It was just what I was looking for. If you can find it, give it a try.

Good luck!

desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desserts Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 7

I have not tried this but I have heard to add a some black icing color to it and it will get darker.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 7

I get pretty dark with Baker's Unsweetened chocolate melted and added...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%