Does Adding Color To Cookie Icing Change Taste?

Baking By zenu Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm by cakelass

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 11

Hi!

I use Toba's glace icing for my sugar cookies and up until now I've only received praise about them.

I'm making a cake and butterfly cookies for my friend's little girl's 5th birthday. It's all a gift- I'm a hobby baker.

My friend recently asked me why my white cookies taste better than the colored ones. At first I was surprised because no one has ever asked me that, not even my husband or mom- who are very honest with their critiques. I was also hurt because I felt that I'm working hard for free and not being appreciated. I just figured if your getting free cake and cookies, you shouldn't complain.

But I decided to take her comment to heart- I made pink butterfly cookies and all white ones. My 5 year old wanted some- he put a pink one in his mouth- then wanted to spit it out! He tried a white one and stuck with it.

So I did my own taste test- at first I couldn't taste anything different!!! I keep trying and now I think I do- like a slight bitterness, but only when I try the icing alone- not with the cookie.

I used maybe 2 drops of americolor...the bottle wasn't that old- could that make a difference? does americolor go bad?

Am I going crazy??? Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe my taste buds are desensitized?

any help would be appreciated!!! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 11

sorry i can't help too much. i did notice a slight difference in my cookie glaze flavor with LOTS of color added...like red. but with a little pink, i'm not sure. maybe add a little more flavor to counter the color taste.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 11

Never had a problem !
How do you flavor it?

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 11

Hi, thanks for replying.

I use clear vanilla to flavor, I always make it the same way, following the recipe.

The thing is I never noticed anything...i've been asking others and some have never noticed anything, but one friend did notice a difference between the white glace cookies and the colored one...but she said it's still tastes great- just a little different.

I've decided I'm not going to worry about it- I think it depends on each person's sense of taste.

Thanks

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #5 of 11

i did a test cookie once with heaps and heaps of red in the icing and i did notice a very very slight difference in flavour but i can't taste a difference in any of my other coloured icings

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 11

Be aware - Americolor can go bad, perhaps Wilton as well. I had some white around for a while, added it to icing and tested it. Bad idea. It might have also gotten warm with summer temp as usually I store them in a cool place. In general though, I love Americolor. It is known for tasting better than Wilton.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 11

how long is it usually before they start going bad?

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:34am
post #8 of 11

I also notice a bitter taste especially w/ black , red, & navy.
I use Wilton's brand.
I also notice a chemical taste w/ Wilton's vanillia extract.
I take my cookies to work for coworkers to taste there is only one gal that thinks they taste bitter.
I guess we have sensitive bitter buds.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtacreamRose

I also notice a bitter taste especially w/ black , red, & navy.
I use Wilton's brand.
I also notice a chemical taste w/ Wilton's vanillia extract.
I take my cookies to work for coworkers to taste there is only one gal that thinks they taste bitter.
I guess we have sensitive bitter buds.

Yes, some of Wilton's colors do taste bitter, especially when used in large quantities. That's one of the many reasons why I use Americolor. None of their colors taste bitter and it takes much less color to achieve deep, dark shades.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 11

Let you colors sit overnight to deepen. That way you need less. Also, ick on the Wilton clear vanilla. If it helps, I like and use Spices Etc's all-natural clear vanilla. PM me if you want the coupon code for a first time order. I love their products.

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 11

I hate making red cookies or really dark colours because yes they do have a bitter taste and have been told so myself. I use mostly Wilton pastes.
Although I have asked this question here too and someone suggested no-taste red by Wilton which unfortunately I have not found in Australia yet.
As for mixing dark colours overnite like TracyLH suggested I do this as well and it works a treat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%