Different Sizes Different Temps

Decorating By simplicake Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 8:50am by xstitcher

simplicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplicake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #1 of 2

Hello everyone!
I'm a culinary arts student baking my first wedding cake tomorrow, yay! I have 3 round pans - 6 in, 10 in, 14 in. It was suggested in my professional cooking book that the 6 in be baked at 375 degrees while the 10 and 14 in rounds are listed at 360 degrees. I will also be baking a half sheet rectangle of the same cake which it suggests 360 as well.

Since I am not the only student in the bakery tomorrow morning when I plan to mix and bake, I need to think about space and not take up multiple ovens. We have 1 conventional oven(which I adore) and two stacked convection ovens(which is my arch nemesis, only cookies have come out decently for me in it, I use it if absolutely necessary). I am able to fit the 6 and 14 inch pans on one rack and the 10 and half sheet on the other without the pans touching (I know pans touching is bad).

I am considering taking over the conventional oven to save space and have the ability to keep others from changing the temp on me or bothering the cakes.

My questions are: Is having all 4 cakes in the conventional oven at the same time a good idea? Will having them on different height racks make any difference in quality? Since the 6 inch needs 375, will it drastically fail being cooked in a 360 degree oven? Will it just take longer to bake?

Thank you in advance for the help.

1 reply
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:50am
post #2 of 2

Are you using different recipes???

When I bake my cakes the only thing that varies is the amount of cooking time. I bake all my cakes at 325 degrees but I don't have a convection oven so cannot help you on that one. I try not to disturb my cakes while they are baking but if I have to pull out a 6" because it is done before the 10", I do it very quickly so the oven does not cool down and cause my 10" to sink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%