Satin Ice Question

Decorating By Megandme Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm by -K8memphis

Megandme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megandme Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 7

Last night was the first time I've tried Satin Ice. I made a shield for the front of a fire helmet and placed it over a plastic tea pitcher sprinkled with powdered sugar to dry. This morning I checked and it's stuck to the pitcher. My question is, when the badge dries more, will it loosen from the pitcher or have I screwed up?

6 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 7

Hard to say - a lot will depend on the humidity in your work space. Here, in the hot, humid coastal swamp, I'd be SOL icon_lol.gif - that shield would never come off whole. Give it a little more time and then try to gently move the entire shape rather than prizing upward in one spot. Maybe try to slip a thin sheet of plastic underneath - like one of those acetate report covers. I use gumpaste and dust cornstarch heavily beneath it - fondant just doesn't work. Good luck!

[/list]

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 7

What I do when this happens is to take my small paring knife and gently slide it under to try and loosen the object that has stuck. Work a little bit at a time and be very gentle. I honesly dont think it is going to loosen on its own.

Next time use wax paper underneath, I cant get RI or fondant to stick to wax paper at all, so I use it all the time underneath my finished pieces to prevent stickage.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 7

I add lots of cornstarch to my fondant and that's what I use for stuff like this. It sets up completley and has a teesny little bit of give that keeps it from cracking like straight up gum paste can and it tastes like great candy with some raspberry flavoring or something.

Megandme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megandme Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much to everyone for responding. I live in MO where it's humidity central so when you hear loud crying tonight, you know it's me and the entire thing broke. I actually had the shape on waxed paper but moved it because I was afraid it wouldn't come off later...silly me. (Maybe I should take it to my parents and sit it on their de-humidifier.)

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 7

I have the extra cornstarch in mine like I said and Memphis is nothing if not plenty humid but you can use a 150 degree oven to help it dry. Greater than 150 & it melts though. Wait till it cools completely to try & pick it up.

Will the container flex back away from it?

Tell yah what--you can make a second one out of candy clay easy peasy though. Summer coating and corn syrup. Sets up in the frige.

I mean some folks have a learning curve with the candy clay but it's an idea.

AND always make backup pieces al.ways.
Never ever just make one.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 7

Y'know what else I'd try as a last ditch effort.

Put either ice water or hot water in the container and one of those should loosen that puppy up. Form some condensation and it should lift off.
Or make the container a slightly different shape from the shield just enough to release surface tension.

And as the very last, last ditch effort--freeze the container, add hot water.

Fingers crossed for yah! Something should get it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%