Bulging Filling??

Decorating By chelseavelez Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 2:36am by makeminepink

chelseavelez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseavelez Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 6

every cake i have made has had a bump on the side from the filling i guess. has this happened to anyone else. can you please help me

5 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 6

Are you damming the layers before you fill them? The icing dam will help to prevent the filling from bulging through.

Also allowing your filled cakes to settle for a while will give you the opportunity to fix the bulges before you do the final coat of icing or fondant. I allow my filled/crumb coated cakes to sit over night with a book on top. The weight of the book helps to settle the cake.

HTH

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 6

dkelly- Doesn't the cake dry out from only being crumbcoated overnight or do you keep it covered? Thanks.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 6

The crumbcoating seals the cake.

I torte, dam, fill, wrap in plastic and then put a ceramic tile on top of the cake and let it sit for at least 2 hours, and 3-4 is even better. The tile neds to be al least as big as the diameter of the cake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 6

or one can use a large cookie sheet and just press down on the them until the icing dam starts to peek out the edges -- said dam having been place at least 1/2 inch from edge and made of stiff icing. -- works faster than book or tile (leahs and indydebi) method for the impatient among us icon_rolleyes.gif

depending upon weight of tile or book, that method can work in as little as 2 hours.

---
crumbcoating works to seal in moisture as well as crumbs.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 6

Wow! I've never heard of doing that! Thanks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%