Dodgy Request

Business By mcaulir Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 4:16pm by cylstrial

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:29am
post #1 of 12

Neighbours of friends of ours have recently bought a restaurant/cafe in town and wanted some 'home cooking' to sell. Friend mentioned me, as she thought I'd like to make some extra moeny while home with new baby.

I haven't sold food from home, and have no idea what the food licencing laws are here. I mention this to friend, who said that restaurant owner knew that, but "wasn't going to let on" where the food had come from. I know I'm not the only person asked, and that a 13-year-old is one of the people who will be cooking.

Dodgy!

Firstly, I sure he would be paying pretty cheaply, since he's not willing to pay someone to go to his commercial kitchen and cook there.

Secondly, how would the customers feel if they knew that the food wasn't made in the restuarant's kitchen, or bought commercially, but made in various people's home kitchens around town?

Not to say that home kitchens are necessarily less clean that the restaurant's kitchen, but at least it's inspected (I would think).

Also, if he's 'not letting on' about this, I would wonder what else he's 'not letting on' about. Doesn't make me keen to patronise this establishment!

11 replies
Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 12

Wow! I gotta say I would not have any part of this whole situation!! Stay away! Thats my word of advise!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 12

Run away!!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 12

Run. Run like the wind.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 12

I agree! Not worth the potential danger....

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #6 of 12

Personally, I would not only run, I would run straight to the nearest HD rep....

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 12

Oh, no, I'm not planning on doing it. Just hard to believe that he would ask, and that people are doing it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 12

I think you're right on with thinking if he's being a big shady on this, then what else is he doing?

kikster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikster Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 12

I think it would put YOU at risk if something were to happen, so I wouldn't do it. Not worth it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 12

I have a neighbor who cooks for a lot of the local Mexican restaurants. Her whole living room is full of freezers. What she's doing is definitely not legal but she and the restaurants have been doing it for at least 7 years that I know of. Some of what she cooks has chicken, pork and shellfish all in the same dish.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 12

This guy probably seriously needs turned in.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 12

No don't jump on me for saying that! If it was just a cake, I would never suggest it. But that's meat and all sorts of serious dodgy stuff. People could get really sick from that. There's food poisening and botchulism...and who knows what else is out there. And I'm sorry, but I don't really want a 13 year old cooking for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%