Rolled Buttercream Fondant Question...

Baking By LizzyLaw06 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm by leah_s

LizzyLaw06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyLaw06 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 3

i made my very first fondant this weekend. I used the rolled buttercream fondant recipe found here and allrecipes. it seemed totally perfect while making it then when i went to roll it out it seemed super greasy and it "scaled" on me. then it kinda fell apart as i was laying it on the cake. I was able to patch it and hide the breaks within decoration, but that's not always going to be the case....what did i do wrong, or what can i do to make this better. it tasted great compared to the wilton stuff.

thanks in advance

2 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 3

Rolled butter cream is NOT fondant and does not perform the same as fondant. It is fine for making small figures and covering cookies and cup cakes but very hard to work with to cover a cake. It is very greasy compared to fondant. Wilton fondant is the worst tasting there is. If you want to make your own here is a good recipe http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-2006-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html Satin Ice and Penttince (sp) are both very good.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 3

ditto.

Rolled buttercream is definitely not rolled fondant. And rolled bc is like greasy fondant. And tearsl Sounds like you did it right. Try some SatinIce.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%