Next Cake Planned...need Some Advice

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 2:51am by d3sc3n7

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:41am
post #1 of 4

Hey guys....I'm planning on doing another cake in about 2 weeks for a party were having. Its going to be a fallen tree, on a forest bed. The bottom half of the tree is going to be dead looking, with just dirt around it. Then I will merge into the top half which will be full of life, with grass and plants all around.

It represents my wife and I. How both our pasts have been very rough, but as a family we will continue to grow and prosper, no matter what comes along.

SO! With the intro out of the way...here come the questions!

1: I want it to be edible, so I want to make a base of cake. I have a 4in round pan. I thought about making X amount of cakes and cutting an edge off, so it can lay flat. Then line them up and cover with a brown, or dark woodgrain MMF. I will probably TRY to make branches out of the cut off pieces of cake. If not, i'll just use some MMF, or something of the sort.

Would this be possible?

2: I want the "livley" part, to look like grass, however I have 2 cakes to do that weekend. I dont have the cold storage space to keep this one, so if I were to pipe the grass the buttercreme would easily melt down and look like crap. Is there an easier way to make a grass/plant "field" with MMF?

3: I think those are the main questions, but if anyone has any advice or experience PLEASE let me know. This cake is very important to me, and I want it to be as close to perfect as I can get.

**Note** I'm no expert, and have no formal training...however, I've been doing cakes off and on for a while now...so I'm getting better with it.

Thank you everyone...

3 replies
bravoe06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bravoe06 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #2 of 4

You could always use coconut dyed with dark green dye and you could use gumpaste or green apple laffy taffy for leaves id you roll them out pretty thin .
I have made branches with pretzels covered in chocolate or with gumpaste since it dries faster than fondant and you can leave them out without being affected by heat.If you do use the left over cake it would def work make sure you crumb coat them

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:42am
post #3 of 4

The first thing that came to my mind for using MMF, is to use a pair of tiny cuticle scissors (that has never been used) and make tiny snips in the fondant pulling up as you snip. It raises the MMf up and would give it a grassy appearance. be careful not to snip all the way through the MMF into the icing layer.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:51am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips on the branches, will come in quite handy!

Also, for the cuticle scissors...grand idea! I think I'll do just MMF as the base, no cake/frosting layer under it. So...perhaps if I could find green cake board...then even if I snip to far, and cut all the way through it wouldnt really be noticable?

I'll be sure to post pictures of the cake, when finished!

Open for more ideas though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%