Constructing A 3-D Vehicle Cake

Decorating By morrisaz2004 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 3:01am by morrisaz2004

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #1 of 5

I'm still new and have decided to try and make a cake that looks like a Mercedes G Class. It's similar to a Land Rover in shape. I don't think I'll have trouble carving the cake (but who knows?), it's the constructing of the bottom of the cake that I'm a bit confused about. How do I construct the main portion of the cake to stand up from the ground and then get the tires to stay on, without smashing them with the cake? I hope this makes sense. I've seen some wonderful jeeps, trucks, etc, but can't figure out how to get the thing off the board and not have it look like it's stuck in the mud. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks all you CCer's!

4 replies
bravoe06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bravoe06 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 5

There are two ways.
1- hot gluing 3 boards -place the cake and once your done carving the cake, crumb coat it.Cut the hot glued boards the shape of the vehicle and place the carved cake on to a half sheet or quarter sheet depending on the size and that should give you the 1/2 to inch off the ground you need

2- Using 4 or 6 rice crispies and cover them in black then place the carved cake on top with the single board cut as close to the carved cake as possible

Hope that helps!!

morrisaz2004 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much, Sweet2oothtreats! I will try one of those methods. I appreciate you taking the time to answer! thumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #4 of 5

here's a diagram...

use little dowels or central board (even a brick!)
LL

morrisaz2004 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:01am
post #5 of 5

Doug, that's fantastic! That will help tremendously! I was wondering if there were hidden dowels/supports somewhere. Thanks so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%