Monogramed Cookies

Baking By miosito Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 4:29am by jules5000

miosito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miosito Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 16

Hi everybody..I need any ideas on how to make monogramed cookies..any tips on how to make those letters look professional..thank you I appreciate it icon_smile.gif

15 replies
still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 16

I used a stencil and pretty stiff royal icing to make monogram cookies (just the letter D). I think they turned out nice. I did the letter with white RI and used white sanding sugar on the letter and that hid any imperfections in the RI.

still_learning Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:03am
post #3 of 16

I found a picture of the D monogram. I hope the attachment works.
LL

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #4 of 16

Did you create the stencil yourself or buy it from somewhere?

still_learning Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:41am
post #5 of 16

I bought the stencil. I've had the stencil for a long time so I'm not sure where I got it - sorry. But - I found the stencil video on this site from Designer Stencils to be very helpful. I think they have a pretty good selection and many are made to work with specific cookie cutters. For this order I bought the matching stencil that had sort of a lace pattern.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 16

Still_learning, what did you use on the cookie to get such a nice neat star shape? Your cookies look so nice. Did you do the monogram with the stencil on the cookie or did you mark the lines of it someway and lift it off and do the monogram? I would love my monogram cookies or any cookies to look that great. I have some stencils, but I am not sure with the design that doing the icing with the stencil on would get me the look I want. I love the letter type, but some of the lines would be so close together that I am not sure it would work. Could you use a toothpick to gently score it inside the stencil and follow your marks with the stencil off? would that sparkle sugar work as well as your sanding sugar? I am not sure what the sanding sugar is as I have not seen it out where I live. Thank you for any help you can give. I am definitely still learning. I think we could all use your user name and it would be appropriate.

still_learning Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:57am
post #7 of 16

Jules5000 - Thank you for the compliments icon_smile.gif I love making cookies they are just so time consuming!!! To get the shape on the cookie I just outline with stiff RI before flooding. I actually found this shape easier than most because it was just a series of straight lines. I piped with the tip slightly above the cookie and touched down at each corner. Hovering over the cookie really helps keep the lines straight as compared to keeping the tip directly on the cookie. I kept the stencil on the cookie and just spread the stiff RI over it with a small flexible spatula. It's so quick! You have to work quickly to smooth everything out before the icing starts to harden and you I've to be careful with the position of the spatula so you keep the layer of RI even. I will see if I have a pic of the lace stencil I used. Those lines were very close together and it worked out OK. I also spread the icing with the stencil on but I did go back with a toothpick after removing the stencil to clean up the design - again, working quickly. I'm sure you could mark the outline with a toothpick (or maybe edible food marker) it would just require more work as you'd need to pipe but witha stencil you just swipe the icing on and remove the stencil - fast!

Sanding sugar is just decorating sugar with smaller crystals (at least that what I think). I liked using the finer sugar for the lettering so the crystals didn't distract from the design.

I feel like every time I do a cake/cookies it's a learning expeience since I've never done the same thing twice (I'm just starting out and I just bake for family and friends really). That coupled with my awe of some of the amazing decorators on here made me come up with my user name icon_smile.gif I hope all my rambling was helpful!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 16

i used a scrapbooking stamp into fondant (i embossed the fondant first) then i put on lusterdust to pick up the details-you can find almost any style of letter you want-plus they're usually just the right size for a cookie. on my RI ones i let the icing dry but not completely then gently pressed the letter into it-just enough to see an outline then i piped over that. i found it fairly quick and easy and got the consistancy of the letters as i wanted. hth

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 16

I used technique from other poster. Print out the letter from computer, the size you will need, then trace it to parchment paper, then go over dry RI on cookie with something sharp (I used corn holders), it will scratch line to a cookie, and then pipe over with RI. After a few cookies, you might find that you will get the "motion" on your hands and you will be ready to do freehand. I have one monogram cookie in my gallery, it was pretty easy.

jules5000 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 16

Everybody on here seems so helpful and friendly. I am getting ready to put some pictures on. One is cookies and I stenciled some and the others are tulips and I spent a lot of time and they were supposed to be a bouquet and they fell off their sticks so the icing is broken up on a lot of them. One is a cake I sent to convention. The friend who took it actually cleaned it up a bit before she went so it looks better now then the picture shows. I only have 2 right now, but I am about ready to finish a roll off and hopefully be able to get it developed real soon and put more on.

Still_learning, you are more than welcome for the compliment and you were very helpful in telling me it was a stencil. I tried Royal icing once in stencling. I guess I just need to keep trying. There is a bake sale this weekend that needs my donations. Maybe I will try again and see if I can get it down.

ZlatkaT and Michellesart, thank you also for your ideas. both very creative.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_learning

I found a picture of the D monogram. I hope the attachment works.

Your cookies turned out great! I love them!

jules5000 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #12 of 16

Stil_learning, do you have more than the D? Like the whole alphabet in the font? I would love to have a copy of it if you do. Thanks.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 16

This link tells you how people make stencils. I found it to be pretty neat. I thought it might help everyone in this thread as well.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6519558#6519558

jules5000 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #14 of 16

decorateme, I just put a picture on here of some stenciled cookies I did not too long ago and they are buttercream on buttercream. THere is a video on this site with the articles and it tells you how to do buttercream on buttercream. It is really pretty easy. The picture has some cookies that are tulip shaped on the plate as well. I put it on last night. in the cookies album.

I have a question for the one who used the wood burning tool. Did you use it straight on the plastic sheet. What tip did you use? You didn't have any trouble with the plastic burning itself on to the tip and it not being as precise? thanks.

still_learning Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:53am
post #15 of 16

Jules5000 - I do have the entire alphabet but it's a stencil set (not like a font on the computer). I'm not sure what I could do to share the font. If you have any thoughts on how, let me know!

jules5000 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:29am
post #16 of 16

Still_Learning, where did you get the set? Was it recent? That is one idea that I could look maybe where you got them with like who put them out?

THe only other idea is that maybe you could scan them. I am not sure if that would work anyway. Where do you live? I live in the Midwest in Missouri. I have an Alphabet stencil anyway that is nice. So don't worry about it. I will just use it. Thanks for being willing. I just thought if it was a stencil made from a certain style that you might be able to find out what the name of that style was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%