Need Help For Experience

Decorating By Peace0fCake Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm by Peace0fCake

Peace0fCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peace0fCake Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 5

Im 19 years old and i took a class for cake decorating a few years ago and ever since then i have been doing it and fell in love with it. the culinary school im going to does not go into cake decorating in full enough detail for me. i am interested in learning more but i feel like i keep coming to a dead end. any advice on how i can further my experience???

4 replies
JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 5

read, read, read. When Im not making cakes 40 hours a week, I come home, go on the computer, and look up information. Its become my life. All I do is teach myself, look for new techniques. I look up photos on this website, then try to figure out how its done. Volunteer to make cakes for family and friends so you can try out new techniques. This is what I do. icon_smile.gif

You can always take classes if you feel like you need more formal instruction. For me, I would rather have an experienced and sucessful mentor. Next best to that, I think, is just teaching myself. If you have the passion and the ambition to learn, that is all you will need to get where you want to be.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 5

The biggest teacher is hands-on practice. Read, listen, video, everything you get your hands on. I've learned more in 2 years of CC than I did with 25 years of doing cakes. I've done things I had never even HEARD of before (FBCT).

You'll be amazed how much you learn just by reading about it. I had never done fondant before coming to CC. Even tho' I was SURE i would never do fondant, I read all the threads about fondant, as they popped up. Amazingly, when I was thrown into doing my first fondant cake (head first, no swimming lessons, in the deep end), I was surprised at how much I knew just by reading about it.

Peace0fCake Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for all of ya'll help! I really appreciate it. Now i think i have lots of reading to do icon_biggrin.gif
thanks again!

Peace0fCake Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for all of ya'll help! I really appreciate it. Now i think i have lots of reading to do icon_biggrin.gif
thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%