Help, What Is Instant Vanilla Pudding Please, I Have No Clue

Decorating By LizzyB Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm by Doug

LizzyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyB Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:58am
post #1 of 5

I have never heard of this but it is in a recipe I found and would like to try. Do you all know of any brand names I can look for. Is it a custard powder type thing? I am a vanilla pudding greenieicon_redface.gif thanks guys

4 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:08am
post #2 of 5

Instant pudding is just pudding mix designed to be made very quickly. Jello (Kraft) is one of the brands that comes to mind. I know there are others but that's all I can think of right now.

Here's the description from Recipezarr:

Both instant and regular pudding mixes come in powder form in boxes. They are both made with pre-gelatinized starch. Pudding mixes are combined with milk resulting in a soft, creamy custard-like texture. Instant pudding mixes take only a few minutes to mix up, and then they are ready to eat, once set. Regular puddings are cooked and take longer to set. Pudding mixes are used in desserts, pies and eaten as is.

Here's another site telling you about instant pudding:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-instant-pudding.htm

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #3 of 5

What country are you living in, hon? This product may not be available where you live. We have Jello brand and Royal brand here in the US. And yes, its like a custard, but not exactly. You dont cook instant pudding. You usually just add milk. If you are wanting to use it in a cake, you just add the powder to the mix.

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 5

I use it more often than I'd like to admit. It is so freakin easy!!!! You can use Kraft whcih is the biggest brand name that makes it I think, and then many have store brands. I don't have a preference I think they taste the same. I use instant pudding in every cake I make, it makes the cake more moist!!!! Good luck, it's fool proof! icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 5

this is the closest I could find to what we would call instant pudding that might be available in the United Arab Emirates.

http://www.dreem.com.eg/mousse.htm

hopefully, they sell it or similar in your area

---
they also have a custard product, but that seemed to be the cooked variety.

I have used both cooked and instant pudding mixes in my cakes with no difference in results.

-----

Is there an international food bazaar or an import store catering to food cravings of ex-patriots near you? (Dubai? American University neighborhood?) You might be able to find other brands from Great Britain, Germany, Switzerland, USA, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%