Is Smbc Or Imbc Worth It?

Decorating By luminajd Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm by love2makecakes

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #31 of 66

Can you use the Just Whites in the carton, I know the manufacturer recommends against using it for baked meringue...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #32 of 66

Some have success with carton egg whites, but for me they just don't whip up nearly as well as shell eggs. I crack eggs for my buttercream.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:43pm
post #33 of 66

I tried the cartons and fresh eggs. Fresh eggs definitely whip more for me, but if I am in a crunch, I have used half from the carton and the rest fresh and does a decent job.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #34 of 66

I'm curious as to the question about heat/humidity as well. I live in an area where one week the weather is chilly, the next our windows are practically fogged up with humidity.

I tried making imbc a week or so ago. It was alright. My whole family said it was good, but they prefer a sweeter frosting. I'm thinking the grandparents might like it better. I ran into trouble with it when I went to try icing a cake with it. As it came to room temp, the icing started to separate. Started looking like curds and whey.

FullHouse Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #35 of 66

Thanks. Are there other options for pastuerized egg whites? I'm pregnant and have been wanting to try the IMBC or SMBC, but don't want to chance unpastuerized for myself or my toddler.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I tried making imbc a week or so ago. It was alright. My whole family said it was good, but they prefer a sweeter frosting. I'm thinking the grandparents might like it better. I ran into trouble with it when I went to try icing a cake with it. As it came to room temp, the icing started to separate. Started looking like curds and whey.

That's what it looks like when it breaks. Follow the directions for whipping it and warming it up tat we posted above and it should come back together again.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Thanks. Are there other options for pastuerized egg whites? I'm pregnant and have been wanting to try the IMBC or SMBC, but don't want to chance unpastuerized for myself or my toddler.

I use the kind found at Krogers, called "Break Free" in a green carton. I have used store brands with a lot of success, but have not had much success with Eggbeaters brand. Incidentally, all the Pasteurized egg whites say they don't recommend using for meringue, but I have had very few problems. The train wedding cake in my pic is white choco IMBC with Pasteurized whites, so is the cake with tan flowers and cornelli lace, so is the pink one with Mickey on it, so is the poker cake....all IMBC with Pasteurized whites.

I have also made it with dried egg whites as well! CK makes a brand, I have also used Wilton Color FLo in place of the egg whites, and they have both worked!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #38 of 66

First of all THANKS so much CakeMom777 for the amount of white chocolate. I've been taking SMBC frosted cakes/cupcakes to work and family events, and even my DH who hates a lot of frosting always raves about mine. Now I can do a white chocolate too...oh my!

For the whites in the carton question, I tried once and it wouldn't come together at all - soup! Regular whites never failed me like that. I'm going to try again 'cause it's nice to not have another "project" to use up the yolks. It would be convenient to whip them right up.

Regarding egg safety, I read somewhere online that 160 degrees is the temperature that salmonella is killed. (Just went to try and find a link but couldn't quickly). The instructions for Nick Maglieri's SMBC (and I think Martha too) call for heating the whites with the sugar to 130 degrees. I just keep stirring and stirring and checking the temp with an instant read till they hit 160. If you stir constantly they won't "cook". Then I continue with the recipe.

For those asking about durability....sadly because of all the butter, it doesn't hold up well in very hot temperatures. Think of a stick of butter sitting out. Because of the whipped whites, it won't melt completely but it will get pretty soft.

When I anticipate long time at room temp or a while in heat, I've started using Whimsical Bakehouse's House Buttercream with high ratio shortening.

When I need a taste and stability I mix some of the WBH recipe in with my SMBC. Vanilla with vanilla, milk choc with milk choc. This seems to give me the best of both worlds.

Thanks everyone - great discussion thread!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #39 of 66

I use the carton passtuerized whites all the time and have only had a problem maybe twice. Make sure your bowl is über clean and grease-free. I have read that frozen whites beat up better also. Fresh whites do work the best though, better volume. I have also added a wee bit of shortening to stablize it when I have to because I agree that is a bit of a heresy! If someone says it's not sweet enough then I add a bit of 10x.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:22am
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Can you use the Just Whites in the carton, I know the manufacturer recommends against using it for baked meringue...

To add to what has been already said (and if I'd posted sooner my post would have read almost EXACTLY like Cakemom777's!! thumbs_up.gif) - Just Whites has never, ever worked for me. I cannot even get them to "foamy" much less soft or stiff peaks. However, every "plain wrap" store brand I've ever tried HAS whipped up to stiff peaks for me. I normally buy my ew at Trader Joe's - theirs too whip up just fine.

The temperature/heating issues mentioned are exactly what I mean about the "debate" about IMBC; some sites will tell you that the sugar syrup, which is cooked to 248ºF, is enough to bring the ew up to 160 when poured in. Others will tell you it is NOT enough to safely heat your whites. I don't want to chance it either, so I always use carton whites and have had a successful IMBC each and every time...except when I used Just Whites. I too have had success with the powdered kind (which, confusingly, is called AllWhites). The taste is only nominally different and not noticeable unless you are comparing it side-by-side with a fresh-ew imbc.

For a great discussion featuring pics of what kinds of decorating is possible using IMBC, check this out thread http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=0

FullHouse Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #41 of 66

Thank you!!!! My mom's b-day is next week, I think she will be my IMBC guinea pig icon_smile.gif.

Lindakbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindakbh Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #42 of 66

If you are worried about the egg whites or want an easier recipe, you might try this one: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7477-0-Easy-No-Cook-Meringue-Icing.html

It uses meringue powder and doesn't require cooking. I came up with it because I got tired of heating the whites and sugar. It works for me every time, and tastes just like it does when I use regular whites.

Here's a picture of a cake that I iced with it. The border was piped with the same icing. (Sorry, my smoothing job isn't the greatest!)
LL

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:14am
post #43 of 66

more great info about IMBC ...can't wait to try it...thanks!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:47pm
post #44 of 66

I've never tried making either, but am dead keen now too! So we know that they do not stand up well to heat, but do they need to be refrigerated to maintain their shape and / or to be safe?

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:28pm
post #45 of 66

My question regarding SMBC and IMBC is, How does it hold up with a fondant covered cake? My cake are exclusively fondant covered and am just wondering how long they can sit out and still be safe. I have tried to refrigerate fondant, does not work for me at all = disaster!!!! I have tried covering a really cold cake = disaster!!! Now I do flash freeze my cakes for about 8 minutes while rolling out the fondant!! Over the weekend I had a bridal fair and I baked cupcakes for samples, I used Toba Garrett's French Vanilla Buttercream recipe, which basically you make a custard and then add butter, and I got RAVE reviews on the taste!!!! People absolutely loved it, the taste is phenomenal!!! I really would like to switch to these types of icing, but really am unsure about how they will perform with fondant!!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:39pm
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

My question regarding SMBC and IMBC is, How does it hold up with a fondant covered cake? My cake are exclusively fondant covered and am just wondering how long they can sit out and still be safe. I have tried to refrigerate fondant, does not work for me at all = disaster!!!! I have tried covering a really cold cake = disaster!!! Now I do flash freeze my cakes for about 8 minutes while rolling out the fondant!! Over the weekend I had a bridal fair and I baked cupcakes for samples, I used Toba Garrett's French Vanilla Buttercream recipe, which basically you make a custard and then add butter, and I got RAVE reviews on the taste!!!! People absolutely loved it, the taste is phenomenal!!! I really would like to switch to these types of icing, but really am unsure about how they will perform with fondant!!

I use SMBC< and most of my cakes are fondant covered as well. I chill the tier very firm before applying fondant. I use MFF as well. I also roll it to about 1/16th of an inch, so there isn't much to collect condensation. I do this everytime....no problems. I don't think 8 minutes is long enough. You don't want it to squish at all while you're smoothing and fixing air bubbles if you get them. What is happening when you refrigerate that it is a disaster? Are you letting them sit at room temp for an hour or so after removing from fridge? That usually clears up any moisture issues.

MissRobin Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:11pm
post #47 of 66

I have major air bubbles when I refrigerate my fondant. When I have covered a cold cake, I get the same thing!!! I really don't like the ps buttercream at all anymore, guess I have grown up, LOL!! I just want to figure out how to make it work with fondant.

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:06pm
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

I have major air bubbles when I refrigerate my fondant. When I have covered a cold cake, I get the same thing!!! I really don't like the ps buttercream at all anymore, guess I have grown up, LOL!! I just want to figure out how to make it work with fondant.

A big problem when the surface isn't completely level and smooth. Ridges, bumps, depressions, et.c will cause this. Ice and smooth that cake like it isn't going to have fondant applied. As soon as I started doing this, my fondant covered cakes come out looking like a dummy, it's great.

As soon as you lay the fondant on top of the cake, stop. Lift around the edges, and smooth from the middle out, all the way around in a spiral. Take care at the edges, do every part of your top edge first before you even think of smoothing down the sides. Keep working all around the cake like a spiral. It helps. Promise! And cold cold cold cake!!

MissRobin Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:31pm
post #49 of 66

So how long can the sit out after applying fondant?

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #50 of 66

I put in the fridge when I'm done, and take it back out a few hours before delivery. If it's really large, it will take longer to come to serving temp, so I'll take it out an extra hour or two earlier.

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:21pm
post #51 of 66

Okay, I have a question.... So since I opened my business I have always used a regular powdered sugar buttercream, I just butter and shortening in mine.

After reading so much stuff on CC about SMBC I tried it for a few cakes for the family, simple round cakes. It is so easy to smooth! Anyway, my family loves it and has not taken to requesting that icing instead of my regular buttercream.

Now I have some clients who love my regular stuff, but maybe have never tried the SMBC... I went to a wedding where the cake was covered in SMBC and I had no idea what the icing was till I made a batch myself and realized that the wedding cake I loved must have been using SMBC!

I am wondering how it would work to convert? How do I take my current clients and just switch icings without telling??? If I do decide to go this route, will all my cakes need to be refrigerated until they are eaten???

If I were to start using SMBC as my icing I know that it would set me apart from other bakeries in the area because they all use just regular American buttercream.

love2makecakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:22pm
post #52 of 66

btw sorry to hyjack this post. I maybe should have made a new topic for my terribly long post...

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by crlovescakes

I am wondering how it would work to convert? How do I take my current clients and just switch icings without telling??? If I do decide to go this route, will all my cakes need to be refrigerated until they are eaten???

If I were to start using SMBC as my icing I know that it would set me apart from other bakeries in the area because they all use just regular American buttercream. ya got that right!! icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

Hmmmm. Making the switch. I think I would say something to the effect of "XXX Bakery is in the process of revamping their recipes and methods to bring a more refined and gourmet product to their clientele". Make it sound fnacy pants and "upper crust" and promote that great icing! Again, that's what I would do basically, something like that, if I wanted to set myself apart from the competition.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:32pm
post #54 of 66

The only thing I don't like about SMBC is the need to reconstitute it after it's in the fridge or freezer. Does everyone make it to order?

cindycraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycraig Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:37pm
post #55 of 66

I have never made or tasted SMBC, but am curious. I'm a newbie and have only used crusting frostings. Does SMBC crust? If this has already been asked, I'm sorry.

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycraig

I have never made or tasted SMBC, but am curious. I'm a newbie and have only used crusting frostings. Does SMBC crust? If this has already been asked, I'm sorry.

Not one bit. icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:40pm
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

The only thing I don't like about SMBC is the need to reconstitute it after it's in the fridge or freezer. Does everyone make it to order?

I make it to order, like everything, the cake, the fondant, everything. If I have a significant amount left over, I'll freeze it make fillings with.

love2makecakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:43pm
post #58 of 66

_Jamie_

How does it hold up in the summer months? I have some outdoor weddings this summer just wondering if it would need to be refridgerated up until served and then would it have a bunch of condensation?

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:49pm
post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Quote:

If I were to start using SMBC as my icing I know that it would set me apart from other bakeries in the area because they all use just regular American buttercream. ya got that right!! icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

Hmmmm. Making the switch. I think I would say something to the effect of "XXX Bakery is in the process of revamping their recipes and methods to bring a more refined and gourmet product to their clientele". Make it sound fnacy pants and "upper crust" and promote that great icing! Again, that's what I would do basically, something like that, if I wanted to set myself apart from the competition.

i agree! it *IS* a "fancy pants" icing, lol!

how *i* stumbled upon smbc~my best friend brought me a slice of cake from a wedding that she went to and proclaimed it as the "best" icing she had ever tasted. well, i tried it and had to agree. after some investigating i came to the realization that it was smbc...been using it ever since!

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #60 of 66
Quote:

_Jamie_

How does it hold up in the summer months? I have some outdoor weddings this summer just wondering if it would need to be refridgerated up until served and then would it have a bunch of condensation?

My summers can be as hot as 110+. So no one would be outside anyways. One time, a kids bday was in the park during a week of 110+ temps. I made a batch of hi ratio shortening BC for that one event. Otherwise, I'm working in a well cooled studio, and delivering in a well cooled vehicle to (what better be a cooled venue).

So it depends on what "hot" is where you are. 90 degrees with no humidty and in the shade, you're probably ok. But I'd deliver well chilled and plan the timing so that cake comes to serving temp just before they would be cutting and serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%