Please Look @ My Cakes & Give Me An Idea What To Charge

Business By amberkw Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm by amberkw

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone who knows what cakes go for, help me, please? I'd like to know how much to charge. The more I do the more cakes people want and I need to know how to price them. Can you look at me cake pics & tell me what you think they would/should sell for?

6 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 7

Its really hard to answer that question, I charge 2.00 a serving, but I have been decorating cakes for years. I know alot of people charge more than that, but its what I feel comfortable with. Check out and see how much your local bakeries charge, and charge accordingly.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 7

You haven't put your location in your profile so we don't know where you are. Location has a lot to do with pricing.

amberkw Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 7

Oh, sorry. Can you tell I am new at everything? A town of about 60,000 in Southern GA. We have one big bakery that does just about everything here. There are maybe 5 other ladies that do custom cakes - that I know of. Then there is Wal-mart.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 7

OK, well, what does the bakery charge? What do the other cakers charge? Don't even consider using Walmart as a benchmark.

That said, are you legal? Does your state allow you to bake from home, and if so, do you have your inspections, permits and insurance? 'Cause if you're not legal you can't charge ANYTHING for cakes.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 7

yea, what Leah said. icon_wink.gif

Research your competition, not including Walmart cause their customers are not your customers.

You have talent and something special to offer. So, please don't GIVE your cakes away just to get the order. You'll end up hating your art.

mommachris

amberkw Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for your comments and advice. I have a very large family and have been lucky that they let me do all the cakes. people are starting to ask about my cakes and I have looked into a kitchen. There has been a small bakery that has been for rent a few months, but it is way too much rent & overhead for a beginner. I am trying to research what I will be able to charge and what kind of profit I would have. This way I might get an idea what to do , how to set up shop. Its ALL I think about- ALL the time! I'm not sure what I will do. I can't stop making them because there are a few local gals @ my church that like what I have done and seem to think they can & will do the same thing. It kind of bugs me. I know we all want to have a job we love & be able to be our own boss or stay home w/ our lil munchkins, but I feel I have a head start. If I quit now they might pass me by! Anyhow, thanks again. I really value your experienced advice. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%