Deciding To Do A Risque Cake?

Business By Mickey17 Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 2:49am by korkyo

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 13

So today I got my first offer for a paying cake. For a penis cake. icon_confused.gif

Frankly, I am not sure if I want the gig. I am not offended by the request. I tend to think they are a little tacky, but not offensive.

My first thought was to take it because, hey it pays! But I am mostly working on building my portfolio and I wouldn't put it there.

I am so conflicted.......

Pluses : It pays, it is for a bachelorette party with an audience that I otherwise wouldn't have an in with through word of mouth, Did I mention it pays?

Minuses: Definately don't want to explain this cake to my kid or parents if they see it, Not a portfolio item, I am not quite ready to go after the demographic that the party would lead me to. (I am currently focused on baby shower and kids cakes. Eventually, I would like to work on wedding cakes, but I need more practice and polish before I go there.)

12 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 13

from your minuses: "I would like to work on wedding cakes, ..."

well, that kind of cake does go with that territory, just because of "those" parties that happen for him and her in the days or on the night before.

and yes, that cake can lead to those ladies at least maybe coming back for their wedding cakes at a later date.

(sort of like how wedding reception venues will do HS proms at steep discount -- advertising to the brides-to-be!)

----

and yes, it can be a part of the "special" section of your portfolio only shown face to face and by special request(ran across a cake maker's website once long ago that actually made you register to see the "special" section. -- tho' I wouldn't post photos on the web)

----

making this kind of cake or the kind found at a guy's party does demonstrate technique and sculpting ability. And who's to say you can't add a few well placed flowers or a ribbon, why even a bow, to show off those talents too!

----

comes down to your comfort level. Do what feels right in the LONG run to you.

If you decide yes -- the go for it whole heartedly and don't look back or apologize.

if you decide no -- then fine and dandy, you're joining up with many others who have also decided the same and have no need to apologize either.

----

of course if you do decide yes -- oh, have fun, go all the way and make it one that squirts!

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 13

If you think you'll be comfortable doing the cake, do so. Otherwise call the person who wants it as soon as possible so they can make other arrangements.
Did you see the episode of Cake Boss that dealt with the same kind of cake? They made it into a strip club scene and with clever use of "loin cloths" made it more fun than crude. Maybe you can find an idea in the CC "naughty cakes" galleries?

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #4 of 13

I am the only person in town willing to do "that kind of cake", and because of it - I get a lot of business. And then they come back for the wedding cake, the baby shower cake, the childrens' birthday cakes, etc...

I wouldn't turn the order down. Heck, I get so many hits to my website from people wanting to know HOW to make penis cakes (because they can't find a bakery to do it), I put a video up on YouTube. There ain't no shame in MY game! LOL!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:03am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo0855

If you think you'll be comfortable doing the cake, do so. Otherwise call the person who wants it as soon as possible so they can make other arrangements.
Did you see the episode of that dealt with the same kind of cake? They made it into a strip club scene and with clever use of "loin cloths" made it more fun than crude. Maybe you can find an idea in the CC "naughty cakes" galleries?

that episode was so funny and proved again....

You never mess with momma!

You are ALWAYS and FOREVER momma's little boy -- so BEHAVE!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 13

Those naughty cakes are easier than a regular cake, for some reason icon_biggrin.gif I've only done female anatomy cakes, and of those, there was only one that I didn't want my kids to see. Heck, I was blushing when I delivered it. But they're a lot easier and people seem to expect to pay more for them. I guess it might be because they can't get them somewhere else, or they don't know where else to get them.

But I don't want to be known for my boobie cakes, I want to do other things too. Of the last 4 cakes I made for a friend rather than a family member, three were female anatomy cakes and one was a wedding cake.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:25am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

I am the only person in town willing to do "that kind of cake", and because of it - I get a lot of business. And then they come back for the wedding cake, the baby shower cake, the childrens' birthday cakes, etc...

To the OP: Sounds to me like it's the way to go! And like Doug said, you can use it in your portfolio - but just have a private one for that type of cake and show it ONLY when specifically requested. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:32am
post #8 of 13

I got a call from (a gov't office) who wanted a male anatomy cake. I gave them a price and told them the cake would basically run from the shoulders to the Yoo-Who, it would serve about 30 people and the price is $xx.xx. They came back and said, "We just want the Yoo-Who part!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well, it was more than they wanted to pay, so I didnt' do it.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #9 of 13

Money is money, and there is a way to do the risque cakes without making them raunchy.

I had and order for one a few years ago, and my mom helped me make it. LOL. It was weird though.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #10 of 13

You think you are conflicted now, wait until your kid's kindergarten teacher requests one! lol

(I made it for them icon_smile.gif )

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #11 of 13

I have four boys so I just keep everything family friendly. haha. If I can't explain it to my four year old, I don't take the order! icon_lol.gif

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:33am
post #12 of 13

I made one and my father, who came over when I was amost done with it, said "Just let your friends know that I posed for it"!! icon_lol.gif

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #13 of 13

Mine just depends on timming for when they need it and when I can do it without the kids seeing it. So far I have not been able to do any order like that because I get the request in summer when they are home all day. Maybe I need a lock on the shop door? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%