Americolor Airbrush Coloring Not Drying

Decorating By FudgeQueen Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm by Caths_Cakes

FudgeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FudgeQueen Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,newbie here....I am making my first baseball cap cake and in order to get the right shade of navy blue color of the Yankees decided to paint it with the Airbrush color (Navy Blue)as opposed to coloring the gumpaste...(just couldnt get the right shade of blue by doing so).

So my problem is...it has been 2 days and the color is not drying. I did 2 thin coats and it is still sticky....

Is there any way to get it to dry quicker? I have to give to my friend tomorrow for his birthday...
Any suggestions? Thanks in advanvce

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 5

Are you talking about actual painting in on with a brush using airbrush colors or spraying the color on with the airbrush? Let it sit between coats to dry...sometimes a few hours.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 5

Have you allowed the cake to sit out in the air? if youve covered it, it will sweat and not dry. Leave it open to let the air get at it.

FudgeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FudgeQueen Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys,although the cake was already finished before anyone responded (cake posted in my gallery), I ended up using a blow dryer set on the cool setting just to speed up the drying time...It was quite humid here during the 3 days that the painting took place so i figure thats why it took so long to dry and yes I used the Americolor airbrush color to paint on the color.(dont have an airbrush machine yet. ) Can you recommend one for a newbie?

Is it better to use the gelpaste colors for a painting job? Should i have added some vodka to coloring to speed up the drying time? Please let me know what you would have done so i can be better prepared for next time.....Thanks for your expertise and assistance in this. icon_lol.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 5

i only use the gelpaste colours and always mix it with vodka, and ive never had an issues, as long as you leave each coat to dry on its own, it shouldnt take more than a couple of hours to be finished x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%