Omg I Just Made The Best Butter Cream Icing!!!

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 1:28am by PianoDiva

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #1 of 14

This was my first ever try at making my own butter cream icing from scratch and it came out amazing!!! So smooth and so sweet. It was a struggle to get my daughter to stop eating it! HAHAHA

I used Edna's recipe. (Thanks Edna!) I used Walmart brand shortening because I couldn't find ANY high ratio shortening anywhere and I didn't want to use crisco due to the zero transfat. Not goona lie, I'm pretty lazy with sifting so I just didn't sift the sugar at all and it came out perfect! icon_smile.gif Had to use about a tablespoon more water than the recipe called for but besides that it was perfect! Sooooo excited!

13 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #2 of 14

Don't you just love it when things come together? The difference in your water amount can depend on how humid it is in your area and your fat to sugar ratio.

If it isn't already this site will soon become your obsession, with all the great helpful people and inspiring pictures.

TheBlonde Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #3 of 14

Oh I'm already addicted!!! LOL I'm on here all the time... I work full time as a Project Manager so whenever I'm at work and my eyes start to go crossed eyed I come here... It truely is highly addicting!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 14

How can I find "Edna's Buttercream Receipe"?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:53am
post #5 of 14

I have never tried Edna's buttercream. It sounds like I should give it a whirl.

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 14

Edna's great! Here is her site http://www.designmeacake.com/id21.html

mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 14

I love trying different recipes. I will give this a try tonight since my husband just asked me to make some cupcakes for a potluck and I just purchase some sweetex.

TheBlonde Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:39am
post #8 of 14

I definitely recommend her recipe...so simple and easy to make yet so delicious! Check out some of her videos on youtube too. She really has some great advice!

PamelaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PamelaB Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 14

I will have to stop by Walmart on my way home since I don't have access to Hi ratio shortening. I can't wait to try this. IndyDebi's recipe is also very good and you don't have to use hi ratio. Her recipe is in the recipe section if anyone is interested.

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 14

i tried about 10 different recipies, and since then Ednas is teh only one i use....
its yummy icon_smile.gif
add nutella to the chocolate one to make a yummy hazelnut chocolate bc icon_smile.gif

TheBlonde Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #11 of 14

MMMM...That sounds yummy Brian. About how much Nutella do you use?

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #12 of 14

I understand that Edna uses high ratio shortening instead of regular...but other than that, what is it about this recipe that makes it so amazing? It looks exactly like the Wilton recipe to me. Am I missing something?

TheBlonde Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:27am
post #13 of 14

Just look at Wilton's Recipe. It is different. The recipe I used had 1/2 cup of shortening, 1 stick of butter, 2 tablespoons of water or milk, 1 tablespoon of merengue powder, 4 cups of confectioners sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

I understand that Edna uses high ratio shortening instead of regular...but other than that, what is it about this recipe that makes it so amazing? It looks exactly like the Wilton recipe to me. Am I missing something?

This one uses meringue powder and Wilton's doesn't. I'll have to try this--and it's just the excuse I need to bake another cake! icon_lol.gif

--PianoDiva

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%