Fondant Details On Buttercream

Decorating By sweetbyme Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 5:27am by melissaread

sweetbyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbyme Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone! I am wondering if you can help me on how to attach fondant details (bow, swags, etc.) to a crusted buttercream cake. I have to make a 3 tier-cowboy cake in BC and the Mom wants the "cowboy fringes" in fondant on the sides of the cake, but I have no idea how to make them stay on. The cake will be picked up on Friday and the party will be on a Saturday.

Help!!

Thanks,
Sweetbyme icon_cry.gif

8 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 9

I do a lot of buttercream frosted cakes with fondant accents. I just use water to attach them and it works just fine. You can use a paint brush dipped in water to paint the back of each accent piece or just spritz water on them.

Hope that helps!
KimAZ

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with Kim - you can use water but most of the time, I put mine on while th ebuttercream is still soft enough that the fondant adheres to it! Good luck with your order.

wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #4 of 9

i use gum glue. add about a 1/4tsp. sized ball of gumpaste to about a teaspoon of water heated in the microwave for a few seconds so that the gumpaste disolves. stir and you have gum glue. i have used this method for adding swags, flowers, and other decorations to crusted buttercream cakes. works great for me!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #5 of 9

I either use water on the back of the fondant piece, or I glue it on with a bit of BC.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 9

I use water and have used buttercream, both work fine.

sweetbyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbyme Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 9

thanks to all of you my angels!! so, by doing that, the fondant details shouldn't run down the cake?

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:00am
post #8 of 9

I use just a smidge of clear piping gel with a paintbrush, just enough to make it tacky not a thick coat...works great nice and sticky, doesn't run!

melissaread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissaread Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:27am
post #9 of 9

i use water, too... it makes the fondant stick to just about anything. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%