Fondant Details On Buttercream

Decorating By sweetbyme Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 5:27am by melissaread

sweetbyme Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone! I am wondering if you can help me on how to attach fondant details (bow, swags, etc.) to a crusted buttercream cake. I have to make a 3 tier-cowboy cake in BC and the Mom wants the "cowboy fringes" in fondant on the sides of the cake, but I have no idea how to make them stay on. The cake will be picked up on Friday and the party will be on a Saturday.

Sweetbyme icon_cry.gif

8 replies
KimAZ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 9

I do a lot of buttercream frosted cakes with fondant accents. I just use water to attach them and it works just fine. You can use a paint brush dipped in water to paint the back of each accent piece or just spritz water on them.

Hope that helps!

1234me Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with Kim - you can use water but most of the time, I put mine on while th ebuttercream is still soft enough that the fondant adheres to it! Good luck with your order.

wakeandbake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #4 of 9

i use gum glue. add about a 1/4tsp. sized ball of gumpaste to about a teaspoon of water heated in the microwave for a few seconds so that the gumpaste disolves. stir and you have gum glue. i have used this method for adding swags, flowers, and other decorations to crusted buttercream cakes. works great for me!

indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #5 of 9

I either use water on the back of the fondant piece, or I glue it on with a bit of BC.

txnonnie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 9

I use water and have used buttercream, both work fine.

sweetbyme Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 9

thanks to all of you my angels!! so, by doing that, the fondant details shouldn't run down the cake?

DiscoLady Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:00am
post #8 of 9

I use just a smidge of clear piping gel with a paintbrush, just enough to make it tacky not a thick great nice and sticky, doesn't run!

melissaread Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:27am
post #9 of 9

i use water, too... it makes the fondant stick to just about anything. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%