This Is 'cake' For Seasoned Cakers! But I've Got A Question

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm by onlymadaresane

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 7

So I'd like to do a cake like this one: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1237865.html

My question being. HOW do I get the proportions right? Is that something I need to find an image of - blow it up till it seems to be the right size to cover an 8" cake then what? (if that's how it goes any suggestion to do that?) Do I cut it out and 'trace' it on the BC then go back in and fill it? I'd prefer to do it in BC...

I know it's a simple design. I'd suppose I'm confused as to how I'd keep the proportions right. I just imagine having a skinny big red C and the u b s getting smaller in size and leaning as I go...KWIM?

Any help/tips is much appreciated! Thank you!

6 replies
jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 7

Any time i need to reproduce a logo in buttercream i print it out to the right size. Cut the image apart on all the lines so its almost like a puzzle. After your buttercream is smooth and crusted well, lay each component in place one at a time and tap the edges with a toothpick then peel off. Thus will leave indentions of the entire picture. Now just fill in the lines!

onlymadaresane Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

Any time i need to reproduce a logo in buttercream i print it out to the right size. Cut the image apart on all the lines so its almost like a puzzle. After your buttercream is smooth and crusted well, lay each component in place one at a time and tap the edges with a toothpick then peel off. Thus will leave indentions of the entire picture. Now just fill in the lines!

I was thinking that there's no way it could be that easy...but apparently I was wrong! I'll give it a go! Thanks!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 7

results of Cubs logo image search:

http://nccsc.k12.in.us/nblomeke/Cubs%20Logo.gif

and then proceed as you figured out blow it up to desired size

• easy way -- put it in MS Publisher or Word....
  • draw a straight horizontal line of desired width.
  • center line on the logo.
  • now size logo by holding control while dragging a CORNER -- it will grow in all directions that same amount at the same time.
  • when logo matches the line -- done.
  • remove line.
  • print.

cut and trace will work ---

or----

• using a straight pin or toothpic, punch a bunch of holes that follows outline of design (making your own connect the dots)
  • lay on cake.
  • use cocoa powder to dust the holes and make a set of dots on the cake.
  • connect the dots.

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 7

If it were me, I'd do a frozen buttercream transfer. I suppose you could also do the piping gel method to transfer the outline to the cake and fill it in there. Do a search on here, there's a ton of info on the frozen buttercream transfer. The OSU logo in my gallery is a frozen buttercream transfer.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 7

I agree that a buttercream transfer or a piping gel transfer would be the way to go. Copy the logo to Word or whatever program you use, size as suggested above, then FLIP the image so the logo is backwards. Then make your transfer with buttercream, freeze it and flip it onto the surface of the cake ... OR ... outline the logo in piping gel, flip it onto the cake and fill it out with a star tip in the right colors. Either way, the text comes out the right way around. The toothpick or pinprick method of transferring doesn't always leave clear lines to follow. I think you'll really like the results of either one of these.

Edited because I left half the message out. And yet once again. Maybe I should start hitting the preview button before posting.

onlymadaresane Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 7

I'm loving the tips! The step by step on sizing it is super helpful- I could have turned it over to my husband who probably would have spent 45 minutes in paint and about 30 sheets of paper to get it to fit the width of the cake.

Thank you!

I think I'll go with the gel piping method- seems to be the way to do it for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%