Cake Supports And Other General Questions.

Decorating By OMGitsaLisa Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 7:48am by Bluehue

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 12

Okay, let's just start with saying that I've never decorated a cake before. In fact, my first actual cake decorating class is this Saturday. However, a birthday cake that I intend to do is also that day. I agreed to do it when I thought it was going to be the end of September but now it got bumped up without much notice, so I'm scrambling. I want to do my version of this awesome Mario Galaxy cake posted here but I've got a few questions.

First, what kind of supports would I need for something like this, if any? I'm planning to put a cake board halfway through the round top part even if only for ease of serving. Will I have to have dowels beneath that? Will just one in the center suffice or will I need at least three in a triangle?

Does that look like the Wilton sports ball pan to you or was that probably baked in a mixing bowl? Can I use a cake mix for this and if so, do I need to adjust anything to make it sturdier or will it be okay? Should I do it from scratch? It has to be chocolate...

Also, the frosting - since I intend to color it navy blue or black, I assume I'll want to start with chocolate frosting (or will that work with navy?) What recipe should I use here? Would I be okay with just buying the Wilton chocolate frosting or does that even taste good?

I know that's a million and one random questions, but I have about 3 days to pull this out and I also have to bake my cake for class and work on the marzipan cupcake toppers (when I have never worked with marzipan before either! I must be crazy!) I'm also doing one or two dozen cupcakes for this since I don't know how many people are going to be at the party, don't know how many people this will reasonably serve, and the boys like cupcakes so why not? Basically, I can't afford to screw this up too much.

So... help? Please. Oh god.

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 12

That's an awful lot of new stuff all at once. I'd honestly suggest that you scale back until you know what you're doing. Frankly, your questions suggest that you're going to be frustrated and stressed a lot. Cupcakes + a single tier cake. And I wouldn't suggest trying to make dark blue from dark brown.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 12

Well, I figured someone would suggest that I not do this, but I'm determined to get it done. Thanks for the tip on the icing color, though.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 12

firstly you are taking on a lot for a first time icon_eek.gif
to answer some of your questions so that you can give it your best. icon_smile.gif

1. you would be best to use a wilton ball pan.i doubt you will need supports to hold the board in the middle but you could probably use three in a triangle in the bottom half of the ball into the base cake to hold it in place.
2. you could use a mix but i personally make all my cakes from scratch. so dont know if you would have to alter a mix.
3.i think to colour frosting navy blue you would have to just work it from a colouring gel that is dark navy. as for black work it from chocolate first.i can not help with a recipe as i only work with fondant.

hope this is of some help and i wait to see the end result

icon_smile.gif good luck

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 12

firstly you are taking on a lot for a first time icon_eek.gif
to answer some of your questions so that you can give it your best. icon_smile.gif

1. you would be best to use a wilton ball pan.i doubt you will need supports to hold the board in the middle but you could probably use three in a triangle in the bottom half of the ball into the base cake to hold it in place.
2. you could use a mix but i personally make all my cakes from scratch. so dont know if you would have to alter a mix.
3.i think to colour frosting navy blue you would have to just work it from a colouring gel that is dark navy. as for black work it from chocolate first.i can not help with a recipe as i only work with fondant.

hope this is of some help and i wait to see the end result

icon_smile.gif good luck

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 12

If you are putting a board in there you need to support it with dowel. I don't think I've ever used three dowel for cake, use four right down through the star--cut each one the same length to each other.

The star and the bottom half of the ball could be 'one tier' but be sure you can manage to ice these two entities different colors one on top the other. The bottom of the ball has to be cut right before you place it on the star.

Get all your boards and boxes ready first, now. (if you need a box)

Make all icing and marzipan.

I'd make the Hershey chocolate frosting recipe on the can--today in fact. I don't know what the Wilton tastes like but I wouldn't use it.

Make a small amount of black icing.

Make the blue icing today--use royal blue color and add a littel bit of the black-don't try to get it perfect--let it sit but keep it covered--see what it looks like in a few hours and then add some more stuff--let it sit--repeat as necessary to get your desired color.

I'd make all the marzipan stuff now.

You are purchasing ready made marzipan?
(If you are making it--the way to know if you have enough sugar in it is stop and roll a 2 inch ball and let it set for 5 minutes. If it does not flatten down you are there--if it does flatten, add more sugar and repeat)

List every color you need to make and do all your coloring at once then do your modeling. Push yourself to work fast even though you've never done this exactly. Push push push.

I would bake a layer cake and one rounded (mixer bowl) cake to get that shape--

You can use cake mix but use it frozen.

Do the icings and marzipan first^^^Bake asap toss it in the freezer and get all elements ready as listed above --plan one full day to decorate with all baking and icings and trips to the store done in advance.

Be sure your bottom board will not wiggle or flex in the least--double it--triple it--hot glue it together. You want it two inches bigger than the star pan all the way around. So if it's a 9" star --cut a 13" board. so when the 9" cake is centered, it will have a 2" ledge around it. Add 4" to the size of the star pan .

Have your green icing a little loose so you don't kill your hand piping grass. Add a little bit of brown color to everything you mix that you don't want to scream in dayglo colored agony. Looks very newby to be so right out of the bottle bright--in this case mostly just your grass--tone it down a tad--the other colors not so much . It will still be very green--no worries.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you very much for the info. I guess I could try a chocolate pound cake recipe. I just don't make too many cakes from scratch as I grew up with box mix and that tastes right to me so scratch cakes always seem too dry. I think these kids have the same issue, but I'll try whatever to get this cake made.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 12

My best advice is that you should PM (private message) the person who made the original cake (DC0630) . You can do that by following this link.

http://www.cakecentral.com/messages-post-705114.html

Since that person has already done the cake, they should be able to tell you the easiest way to recreate it. People on here are typically very happy to help in a situation like this.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 12

K8memphis, what did you mean by "You can use cake mix but use it frozen." and also, where might I find a box that's tall enough for that? Most bakery boxes I've seen are too short for a taller cake.

alidpayne, I actually did PM her first, but I don't know if she will reply and I do need to start on everything today so I'm trying to cover all of my bases.

OMGitsaLisa Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:51am
post #10 of 12

Hey, I just wanted to post an update so everyone could see how this potential disaster turned out.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1438848

There were definitely some problems, many that should have been avoided, but I'm still pleased with how it turned out, especially for a first attempt. Also, I did have to skip the marzipan because the stuff I purchased seemed to be old or something. I kneaded it for 2 hour straight, no lie, and all I got was an oily, crumbly mess. It was gross and I dared not give it to anyone else. I ended up just cutting out paper lumas and gluing them to toothpicks. It wasn't as fancy as I wanted, however they still looked fine since they were double sided and very carefully cut out.

I know it's not even close to perfect, but I really appreciate all the help you guys gave me to get me through this. Thanks!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:45am
post #11 of 12

You did great!! Geez that's your first cake? Get outa here!

Wonderful workmanship, CakeBuddy. You did a great job.

I'm sure the boys loved it too.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:48am
post #12 of 12

OMGitsaLisa.....well i for one have to say WELL DONE - credit to you for not only attempting the cake but of the great job you did.
I am sure it was a hit for the birthday boys - again... well done. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%