Another Question Regarding The Pillow Cake

Decorating By manomi Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm by friendtilthend

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:46am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the pillow cake. Earlier we had this thread where we were discussing that maybe we should make the lower half of a pillow cake with styrofoam (to make it more stable ). I am making a pillow cake for my daughter's bday this Sunday. I decided to make both the parts with the cake (so we'll have more cake) I have baked and shaped the cakes. I am taking classes at Michaels and was discussing this with my instructor. She said to have a cardboard between the two layers (again bcuz of the stability factor;so the corners don't drop). Now I m thinking if I do this, I won't be able to have a layer of buttercream or ganache between the cakes (since each lhalf is not tall enough to cut it from the middle and put in ganache. So this way my cake won't have any filling and I don't want this. Do u think I can do w/o putting the cardboard in between? Hope you guys understand what I m trying to say icon_razz.gif
Thanks in advance,
Maria

4 replies
friendtilthend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friendtilthend Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:35am
post #2 of 5

I made a pillow cake a few months ago. I did not use cardboard in between the cakes. I put the cake in the freezer for 15 min then carved. When I noticed it was too soft I placed it in the freezer again. Then finished carving. Once I was done I put a crumb coat on it and let it sit. After it sat I put it in the freezer again for 15 min. Then took it out sprayed lightly with water and covered with fondant. Once the cake was covered I did not touch it until the fondant had set. You can look in my pics to see the cake. I hope this helps.

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:25am
post #3 of 5

really dumb question... but here goes do you fondant the bottom half..flip it over then put the top half on and fondant that? then put a cord trim around the middle? icon_redface.gif

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 5

yeah, either we can do this way, or cover the entire pillow with fondant. If we cover half with fondant, and then other half in fondant, I m thinking when to put the filling between the layers?after the 2 parts have been covered or before that?

friendtilthend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friendtilthend Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 5

I carved mine then filled it. I also covered the whole cake. I smoothed out the top then flipped it over and tucked the edges as smooth as I could get it. There is a tutorial on the front page of CC. That is what I used as directions and it came out great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%