Rkt Help

Decorating By pattycakesnj Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 12:48am by Molly2

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 7

I am making R2D2 cake for a friends birthday and after doing some research, decided to do the arms out of RKT. I am making my own but have never done so before and need help. Do I make the arms shaped with the moldable RKT or do I make a big pan of them, let them harden and then carve the arms? Also how long does it take them to harden or set up? Can I cover them with just buttercream or will the RKT show thru? Thanks for any help you can offer.

6 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 7

can anyone help me, please. I have to make the cake this weekend. Thanks

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #3 of 7

When I use rkt I usally make a full recipe then I shape it with my hands I do this early in the week so they can sit and harden then I cover the with butter cream and cover with fondant and I do this a day or two a head so the fondant can dry a little so when I handle it it does not make dents or marks in my pieces, I hope this makes since, sometimes I'll make my rkt a head of time store it in zip lock bags I reheat the rkt in the bag in the micowave and make my shapes they seem to harden a little better
I've made 3d cowboy boots this away, the Texas longhorn hand gesture and many other shapes you can see some of these in my photos

Molly.

pattycakesnj Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 7

thank you Molly. Can I just cover with buttercream or do I have to put fondant over it?

Molly2 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:38am
post #5 of 7

I've never done it with just butter cream I'm sure you can but I haven't tried it Im sure you would have to use quit a bet to cover the rkt.

Molly

pattycakesnj Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #6 of 7

thanks Molly

Molly2 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #7 of 7

Good Luck be sure and post your pic.

Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%