Please Help Me! How Do I Cover Up Bumpy Fondant?

Decorating By MerlotCook Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm by msmeg

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 6

It is a disaster! I'm making mini cakes for my brother's wedding on Thursday. They are square on bottom and round on top. The poured fondant wasn't covering the chocolate bottom, so I used MMF, now I'm trying to use the poured for the top. They bottoms have awful bumps, and the tops aren't getting covered completely. Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do??? I can decorate them any way I want to, so any ideas are welcome! Thanx!

5 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:42am
post #2 of 6

Mini cakes are always harder to cover with fondant than their larger counter parts and poured fondant is difficult to get smooth I find. Try pouring the fondant twice (let the first one set and then do it again). Kind of like this cupcake except you would probably pour on top instead of dipping (I'm assuming):

Have you covered all of them already or are you just starting out? Maybe a few well placed accents might help if you've done them all already.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 6

What I do...make sure you have plenty fondant mixed up...keep warm (body temp) in double boiler. I also dip my mini cakes in simple syrup first. I use much less fondant this way. Sounds like you need to either rebake or scrape off your first efforts and start over.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:29am
post #4 of 6

Here's an easier way to cover small cakes (round) with fondant :
http://sugarbloomcupcakes.blogspot.com/2009/05/tall-cupcakes-tutorial.html

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:40am
post #5 of 6

That is another great way for rolled fondant....like the filling idea. Bookmark!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 6

did you frost with butter cream before pouring the fondant? it needs to be smooth for a good pour. also if the fondant cools too much it will be lumpy you can rehat easily you can even reuse the fondant that runs off but make sure it has no crumbs or it will make bumps.

also use plent of fondant to allow for it to cover all sides you will have as much run off as stays on the cake for a good pour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%