Is One Better Than The Other? Home-Based Or Seperate Shop?

Business By lish1904 Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 3:10am by lish1904

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #31 of 42

I am like you Leah - I have only been in business for a little over 3 years here, but have NOT ONCE had someone show up at my door without an appointment. Not a problem fo rme.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #32 of 42

I notice a lot of websites don't give out their address so maybe that would cut down on the "drop-ins". I also plan to meet people at their home for the initial appt just so that would avoid them seeing where I live. If they really wanted to see my place, I would set up a time well in advance.

SandraVB79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraVB79 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:02am
post #33 of 42

May I weigh in?
I have a home based side-business. It's not baking (nor anything culinary), but I make products for people, all special order.
I like that it is at home, first of all cost-wise. I don't make enough money with it to cover expences related to a lease. Next, I can determine my own hours, even do an hour here and an hour there. While I'm busy, I can watch TV, watch my (personal) cakes that are in the oven, check websites, ... I do it when I want it.

For me, the big negative, is that it brings a lot of mess in my place, because I need a lot of materials, and have to store that somewhere in my living room. It takes up most part of my table (and it's not as easy to remove it every time, so it just stays there)
My place isn't dirty, but I am a person that seems to attract clutter. When I have people come over to put in their order or to pick up their items, I have to be sure everything looks nice, lol.

Imho, the numbers are the determining factor. Be sure you'll be able to generate enough income to pay for all your expenses when you have a separate shop. It'll be a lot of cakes you'll have to make to cover the lease.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #34 of 42

I remodeled my kitchen with the business in mind. Literally, half of my kitchen looks commercial (there is a small wall and island/bar dividiing the room) and the other half is just regular kitchen - I use my kitchen table for the consultations, and I think it does make my customers more at ease when they can SEE where the cake is being made (since I AM a home based business) There is a mess going on when I am making the cakes, but that is just part of the cake process! Everything is nice and clean and everything has a place (and is labeled!) when I am done. I truely think I have the best of both worlds. I do NOT have my address on my website - there is no reason for folks to "drop" in - all of my cakes are made special order, if you didn't order something, you have no reason to come to see me. icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:10pm
post #35 of 42

I don't have my address on my website, although with a little sleuthing you can find it. I don't even put my address or phone number on my biz cards. Only my web address.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:47am
post #36 of 42

All of my cakes are special order, you can't drop in and buy a cake. However I do have a large selection of wedding accessories in my bridal showroom. I keep in stock no less than 250 cake tops & figurines, along with dozens of guestbooks, glasses, garters, cake server sets, unity candles, everything a bride could need. I not only get the brides looking to place their wedding cake order, I get brides who are getting their cake elsewhere that need accessories. After being open 20+ years, it wouldn't matter if I didn't have my address listed or not, it seems everyone knows someone who has been here and they know where I'm located. I have listed everywhere that I am open by appointment ONLY, have a seperate entrance for the bakery that is closed & locked if I don't have an appointment scheduled. People will drive in, try that entrance door and just come to the front door of our home and ring the doorbell anyway.

I had a bride years ago coming home from their rehersal dinner at 10:00 pm and stop by to see her wedding cake for the next day so she would be the first to see it. It's amazing what the public tells themselves it is ok to do at times.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:49pm
post #37 of 42

I have a unique situation. I am home based, but looking out my kitchen window is a small (one bed) house on our property that I could put a commercial bakery in.

I did a business plan on both locations. The storefront would give me hours I would be tied to the storefront....yuck. More overhead... yuck More traffic to interrupt me... yuck. Etc. Not to mention losing the current rental income that I would have to cover.

I do not have my address on my website or my cards. I am 100% by appointment. I do not encourage drop ins, and have never had anyone do that.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #38 of 42

justducky - how to discourage drop-ins? I've been trying to think of the right words to say so that I diplomatically tell them not to bother me unless by appt.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #39 of 42

I tell them that every cake is important to me and I need to give it my full time and attention. I let them know that when I am working I will not answer the door or phone and I am sure that they desire that same consideration when I am doing their cake.

Never a drop in! Don't underestimate the value of a mini blind on your door. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

justducky - how to discourage drop-ins? I've been trying to think of the right words to say so that I diplomatically tell them not to bother me unless by appt.

Feel free to use what I said in my Read this First page. After all, I stole it from someone. icon_smile.gif

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 6:45pm
post #41 of 42

Hi lish1904,
Come to NC, we allow home-based bakeries and our weather is great! We have both the mountains and the beach.
Leslie

lish1904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lish1904 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #42 of 42

NCdiva- I actually thought about NC, but was unsure of their laws. Thx for the info. Ive never visited but I've heard its a nice state.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%