Pricing On "friend" Situation

Decorating By khasbargen Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm by indydebi

khasbargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khasbargen Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 7

So I'm finding myself in a hard situation, and I KNOW that I'm not alone with this one! I am doing a replica wedding cake for someones 50th Anniversary. It's 3 tiers, square. The bottom 2 are stacked on eachother and the top one is up on pillars. So I've never done one like this, never used pillars, so I'm a tad nervous! BUT that's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking for is how would I price this out? It's a good friend of ours, and I'm just not sure what to do. I'm not "professional" I just really like doing this. Sizes are 8, 12, 16 all white cakes, filled with lemon, raspberry, and chocolate. If someone could help me out a bit with how to go about doing this, it would be great! Thanks for your help!!

6 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 7

I did a 50th for an Aunt and Uncle and what I did was have them pay for all the supplies I needed to make the cake. That way you still get the practice but not out the money it takes to buy everything you need.
Hope this helps

Sue

khasbargen Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 7

That's a great idea. I did think of this. She offered to buy the pans if I needed any, and I just didn't know what to think! Thanks for the idea!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 7

well, first off, if you are not legally set up as a business, you cant accept any payment, and usually cant accept donations either.

ignoring that point, pricing is up to you. if you arent out to make money and dont want to charge a proper business price, then it is common to just charge for ingredients, maybe a small bonus on top of that. (it gets to the point where if you want a bigger bonus, you might as well charge true business prices).

its good of her to offer to buy any pans, she sounds like a pretty good friend - a lot of people wouldnt think of a cost that.
xx

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 7

Actually, brincess_b, the legality of taking money or donations for cakes depends on your state laws. My Dept of Ag rep told me that as long as I was only doing cakes via word of mouth & not advertising, I could legally charge for them.

I would have your friend pay for ingredients and let your decorating time/talent be your 'gift' to the guests of honor. Good luck with your cake, sounds yummy!

khasbargen Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the responses! I, too, am in Minnesota flourpower and I was under the same understanding as you, actually. So I'm glad that I was ok. BUT thank you for putting that out there too just in case.

I think that's what I'm going to do. Just chalk it up to my present to them! I will let her pay for the supplies and leave it at that! I'll feel good about it! Thanks for your imput, you guys are always the best!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 7

I just wanted to add that I envy you getting to do a 50th anniversary cake. I think those are so special to do.

I did a big wedding cake for my aunt and uncle's 50th. They were both Quaker ministers, so they spent their whole life dirt poor. never had anything day to day, let alone any kind of "real" wedding. But I always LOVED spending the week or the weekend at their house ..... they may have been dirt poor but they always had room for one more!

Anyway ..... my aunt cried when she saw the cake. I got a big hug from her. It makes me cry to think about it now. (ah geesh, now you guys will know I"m a big 'ole softie sometimes! icon_redface.gif )

50th anniversaries are super special to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%