My Latest Cake...i Have Questions!!!

Decorating By Normita Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 12:07am by jadex77x

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 11

I completed my latest cake yesterday....a pair of flip flops for the neighborhood block party. Everyone loved them...I too was very pleased with the outcome...but I am having lots of trouble rolling out the fondant!!! I think I roll it out too thick and you can tell when it is the cake. Also, how do you apply the fondant on your cake...I mean...do you roll it onto a rolling pin....I cant even do that....it just starts to stick!!!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1432186

10 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 11

If you had problems, it sure doesn't look like it. They look PERFECT and the fondant work looks great. I do roll my fondant onto a rolling pin, it is greased some what from just rolling out, so I don't have problems with it sticking.

Normita Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

If you had problems, it sure doesn't look like it. They look PERFECT and the fondant work looks great. I do roll my fondant onto a rolling pin, it is greased some what from just rolling out, so I don't have problems with it sticking.

Thank you. It just seems like the fondant was rolled out too thick...I can never get the right thickness. As far as rolling it onto a rolling pin....my fondant is greased too...but it just seems to stick. I think I am going to try powdered sugar instead of crisco....maybe that will work better.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 11

I've also used powedered sugar and that works as well.

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 11

I recently purchased a very economical marble rolling pin and non-slip dough mat from amazon and have had no more issues with sticking.

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 11

use corn starch, lots and lots of it. Then paint it with everclear to get rid of the excess corn starch.

Make sure you use the corn starch on the surface you are rolling onto and on top of the fondant. You will be amazed.

Normita Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 11

I roll out my fondant on a non stick mat....I purchased from ateco. It works well....but I have get the mat and place it on the cake then peel off the fondant....HATE DOING THAT!!! I want to be able to roll my fondant onto the rolling pin and just place on my cake....I guess the trick is to use A LOT of powdered sugar or cornstarch and then try to roll it on the rolling pin....but will this dry out my fondant?

Normita Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musings9

I recently purchased a very economical marble rolling pin and non-slip dough mat from amazon and have had no more issues with sticking.

What kind of rolling pin did you buy?? And how much was it?

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 11

I think they are adorable and if you had issues I cannot see them. I have my wilton rolling pin that has spacers you slide on the ends. It helps keep the thickness consistant.

luts88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luts88 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 11

I agree with the corn starch. I just recently switched first form crisco to powdered sugar then from powdered sugar to corn starch and it is amazing!!!!

jadex77x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadex77x Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #11 of 11

i mix cornstarch and powdered sugar 50/50 works for me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%