Which Basic Cake Receipe Is Best For A Three Tierd Cake

Baking By ldymacarol Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm by Texas_Rose

ldymacarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ldymacarol Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 4

I am making my 3 year old grandson a three tiered birthday cake using a 12 inch round 2 inch deep cake pan, a 8 inch by 2 inch and a 6 inch x 2 inch. This will be my first attempt at this. What would be the best type of cake to use for this. My first thought was a pound cake receipe since it would be a bit more sturdier. I thought I would ask the experts. I may make the bottom tier out of pound cake and the top two layers some sort of chocolate. Thanks

3 replies
ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 4

I am not an expert...but I made my first tiered stacked cake last week, and I was very happy with the WASC recipe from this site I used WASC recipe for 14" and "Amazing chocolate WASC" for the 10". Both cakes baked very well and it was easy to work with, both are moist cakes, and taste very good. You could find this recipes at CC site.
Good luck with your project, and happy baking, have fun!!

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 4

Hi

If you are looking for a sturdy cake then a maderia cake is very compact.

Although Ithink you can go for any recipe providing you put internal supports in your tiers.

I would always use supports with tiered cakes however firm the type of sponge.

Hope this helps

Amandax

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 4

My favorite is the WASC recipe and all of its variations. http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake-WASC.html http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

The cake doesn't have to be especially sturdy for a tiered cake...the upper tiers will be sitting on whatever supports you're using, so it's not like the actual cake has to be stiff to hold up the upper tiers.

When you bake your 12", spray a flower nail with nonstick spray and put it upside down in the middle of your cake pan before you put the batter in. It will help it bake more evenly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%