Pillow Cake Corners Drooping

Decorating By cakesalot13 Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm by cakesalot13

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 15

OK, so what's the best method from keeping the carved pillow cake corners from drooping? I've refrigerated/froze the cakes, iced, and all seemed fine, but after covering the fondant, all of it sagged. Although I know this gives a bit of realism, but I liked all the space from underneath the pillows. Any suggestions?
Thx.

14 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 15

I don't know the answer but here's a bump to keep your question going maybe someone will respond. I have never made a pillow cake but I'd like to know the answer to that in case I do decide to mkae one

Molly

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 15

Just a wild guess here....why not use a peice of styrofoam cut to shape for the bottom portion of the cake and then make the top portion out of actual cake.? Peice together for the perfect pillow. Never made one, but that's how i would tackle such a cake.

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 15

Thats a neat idea sweetcravings. I need to make a pillow cake for my daughter's second next week.. Just might try this.. Do you think i should keep a separator like wax paper b/w the styrofoam and cake?

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 15

It almost sounds like the cake you used was not firm enough. I'd use a very dense pound cake for a pillow design.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianauman

Thats a neat idea sweetcravings. I need to make a pillow cake for my daughter's second next week.. Just might try this.. Do you think i should keep a separator like wax paper b/w the styrofoam and cake?

Yes, definitely put something between cake and styrofoam. You could wrap the styrofoam in press and seal wrap instead.

manomi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks...another question..How do we cut the styrofoam in shape? I mean what is the best thing to use..I dont own any fancy cutting tools..

melissaread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissaread Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 15

just a thought... I made a pillow cake a couple of months ago and was worried to death because of the dreaded Florida humidity... after I covered the entire pillow in fondant, in order to avoid the corners drooping i made little balls out of saran wrap for each corner. I proped them under each corner in the form and height that I wanted so my pillow would look "perky." I think that i had about 6 hrs or so for the fondant to set and dry and I even transported it to the party this way. We removed them when we set up the cake and it turned out perfectly like I wanted it and never drooped (it was about two hours before they cut the cake). Hope that helps!! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 15

I would definitely put something between the styro and cake, I'd probably put the cake on a cake board cut to size, and put a dowel through it to hold it from slipping. To cut the styro i'd use a serrated knife or something similar and just cut away bit by bit until you get the desired shape. If you wanted to get really precise you could make a template of the shape you need before cutting the styro. HTH

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 15

I am with sweetcravings, styrofoam is the easiest way. It can be done all in cake but it needs to be a strong cake.. And yes the styrofoam needs to be cover you can use a cardboard and glue it to the styro It will stay well as soon as you dowel your cake to the styro.
Edna icon_smile.gif

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks all these are great ideas. Never made a pillow cake because I was too intimidated by the shape (and droopy corners) but I think I will be able to use the styro underneath to make the illusion that it is all shaped like a pillow!!! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

manomi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 15

Okay, so i need to dowel the cake thru the styrofoam? How about if i just buttercream cake to cardboard and then glue card board to styrofoam? Its not a big cake.. (almost 8 inches by 2 inch). Do u think I would still need the dowels? If yes, should it be one dowel that goes thru the cake,the board and then styrofoam?

Thanksicon_smile.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 15

OK I've been following this all day now I want to make a pillow cake just to see if I can do it. My question is Do I put the Styrofoam under the cake or in between the 2 layers icon_confused.gif I Looked at the tutorial that is on this website and was trying to figurer out where to put the Styrofoam

Molly

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 10:41pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianauman

Okay, so i need to dowel the cake thru the styrofoam? How about if i just buttercream cake to cardboard and then glue card board to styrofoam? Its not a big cake.. (almost 8 inches by 2 inch). Do u think I would still need the dowels? If yes, should it be one dowel that goes thru the cake,the board and then styrofoam?

Thanksicon_smile.gif

I would hold it at least with some skewers just for safety..Styrofoam is light..If the whole thing was cake it would not be as necessary..
Edna icon_smile.gif

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 15

I couldnt use styrofoam, as I needed the cake for the amount of servings. Although, I like the saran wrap as support and denser cake for my next one...
thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%