Outdoor Reception...100° Heat...topsy Turvy Cake...

Decorating By ClancyJane Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 9:45pm by -K8memphis

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone! I am doing a cake for a reception on Saturday and got told today that it had been moved outdoors, instead of indoors as originally planned. Which wouldn't be so bad if the temperature wasn't expected to be over 100° icon_cry.gif The cake is designed to be a three-tiered topsy turvy and I'm afraid that in the heat it will melt and fall in on itself! Does anyone have any tips/tricks/ideas to keep a cake disaster from happening? Thank you in advance!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 6

Nope.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 6

I mean I guess you already have it made right? How can you plan anything now? I'd just tell the people that the sun's rays affect icing even though there's a wedding taking place.

Tell them the cake is quaranteed to the table. Period.

Tell them to keep it inside as long as possible before serving.

I also advise that they loose on their cake investment--a great deal of the reason to have the cake is so it can be the focal point of the reception. Theirs could be a a melting moment--great with cookies not so good with cake.

Good luck!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 6

One of the most important items on my contract. Heat and/or sunlight do not play nicely with a cake. Period. And who in the heck moves a wedding outside this time of year? Gimme a break! Freaks.... icon_biggrin.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 6

If the cake is already made, then you are kind of S.O.L.

If not, then use a all shortening buttercream (you will want NO real butter in it at all) and use as thin a layer as you can manage before putting the fondant on (if you are using fondant) shortening buttercream doesnt melt as fast.

No matter what, tell whoever you are making the cake for that you offer no guarentees that the cake will survive the reception and to anticipate it melting and falling apart. Get it in writing that they understand and accept the results and will not ask for a refund when it collapses from the heat.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 6

A high humidity type icing might have some flour or corn starch in it. A quarter to a half cup per recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%