Is Rolled Buttercream A Good Substitute For Rolled Fondant?

Decorating By LittleLinda Updated 23 Aug 2005 , 1:37pm by Niki027

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 3

Has anybody ever used both of them? I've never worked with fondant; but I have with rolled buttercream. Do they handle the same way? Can you frost a wedding cake with rolled buttercream instead of rolled fondant? Does fondant taste good?
Linda

2 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 3

I've heard there are some good tasting ready-made fondants on the market.. I just find that MMF is easy to make, cheap to make and doesn't taste bad at all ... It handles pretty much the same way as the Wilton fondant but the advantage to MMF, is when it gets a bit hard, you pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and it will soften right up again .. it's really easy to work with and it tastes good to me icon_biggrin.gif

I've heard Satin Ice is really good too but it can get pricey.

I put 2 layers of buttercream under my MMF so that if people don't like the fondant (some don't like a chewy texture when it comes to cakes), they can peel it back and eat the regular icing ... the fondant's presentation is just so impressive to me .. such a beautiful smooth finish .. I really like working with it icon_smile.gif

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 3

The MMF is okay. It's very sweet, but like Ntertayneme said, if you put buttercream underneath you can just eat around it. Sure it's a bit of a waste, but it's worth it for the look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%