Starting Business

Business By sweet-thing Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm by indydebi

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 8

So here's my question, it may sound stupid but I am so curious. Were those of you who have started your business scared to death when you started? It has been a hobby for about 7 years on and off between having kids but now I'm all legal and ready to go. Now that it is here my excitement has turned to scared witless! I am so nervous to start advertising. Did any of you feel this way?

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 8

If you weren't at least a little scared, I'd be worried about ya.

People who aren't scared think the customers will crawl out of the woodwork with no effort on their part to get those customers in. People who aren't scare don't put as much blood sweat and tears into it.

People who are scared know they have to hustle all the time to keep things going. People who are scared are constantly looking for ways to attract that next customer instead of just assuming the next customer is a given.

It IS a scary step to take .... your livelihood is all on your shoulders (no weekly check unless you do your job right); you've invested a ton of money and possibly signed loans and mortgaged your home.

This is scarier, to me, than just getting a mortgage under "normal" circumstances because heck, we're getting that weekly paycheck from our employer like clockwork, right? We can make that payment, no problem, right? But NOW ........ ? It's all on you, kid! All of it.

So many things you have to handle and you wonder if you can keep up. The only thing you know for sure is your passion and drive to do what you love to do best. So it sounds like you're nice and normal! thumbs_up.gif

Get the book "the e-myth"by Micheal Gerber. SO valuable!!!

But don't be scared about being scared. It's a GOOD thing! thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #3 of 8

Yes, I'm more scared now than I ever thought I would be. I got my business license yesterday and now, I just have one more document to pick up form my lawyer.

I'm just going to be part time and still work my day job (which I truly hate) but I'm hoping that will change in the next year. My husband is excited for me but I'm now nervous. I've always made cakes for people that were connected to me somehow, friend, family, church member, etc. Now, thinking about making cakes for strangers pretty much scares me.

But, I tell myself that they aren't comparing my cakes to the ones on here and don't see the flaws like I do. icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 8

Yes, it is scary. Your just not sure if your making the right choices, but you can only learn as you go. You will make mistakes, but thats okay to. Congratulations & Good Luck!

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #5 of 8

Aaawwww, you guys are great! Glad to hear I'm normal. Sometimes this site is like group therapy.

traceycakes, your cakes are beautiful. You will be great! I'm cheering for you! icon_lol.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks Sweet-thing! Good Luck to you also!

CakestyleIN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakestyleIN Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 8

I haven't reached the point of starting a biz... thinking home-based to dip my toes in the water.... but THAT thought scares me to death as well!! 12 years of hearing rave reviews of how well my baked goods look and taste, but I guess it's fear of failure that has kept me at bay icon_smile.gif But, being scared shows you care, right?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakestyleIN

But, being scared shows you care, right?

Absolutely! If you're not smart enough to be at least a little scared to do this, then you're not smart enough to go into business!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%