Advice:gumpaste Flowers On Smbc: Gumpaste In Fridge?

Decorating By madras650 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm by Rylan

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 4

Can I put my gum paste flowers on my 3 tier cake iced with SMBC in advance; such as the day before delivery than put in fridge? Should I wait until the morning of the delivery to apply the flowers? How will the gum paste hold up in fridge?

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, I would wait till morning to put the gumpaste flowers on. I wouldn't take any risk putting them in the fridge! icon_smile.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 4

i think you will find people with very different opinions on this icon_smile.gif.
i can only tell you what i have done and what works for me ( and i am not an gumpaste expert by any means).

i use smbc and wanted to know if i could put gumpaste flowers on early because i was having a huge time crunch problem. i did an experiment with gumpaste flowers on smbc. i made two dishes of smbc with FULLY DRIED gumpaste flowers on them. one sat on the counter and one went in the fridge (UNCOVERED). i checked them daily. after three days they both were still hard and perfect, not wilted (i wasn't planning on leaving a cake on the counter or in the fridge for three days, but by that time i was deep in mad scientist mode and just HAD to know, lol).

a couple of caveats, if your flowers are not fully dried, you will be in trouble. also, when i bring my cakes out of fridge, the room is cooled by a/c so i don't have condensation issues to deal with.

all that said, i still won't put them on any earlier than i have to (because why tempt fate if you don't have to, lol), but i know if i have to put them on the night before, i can do it without having any more anxiety than my normal truckload icon_smile.gif.

diane

diane

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 4

I have done it sucessfully but I suggest you just add it later on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%