"pound Cake From Cake Mix"

Baking By DreasDesserts Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm by Madiken

DreasDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreasDesserts Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 4

I have a great recipe for a cake using cake mix (4 eggs, 1/2 cup of oil, 1 cup or water) However, I will like to obtain a heavier consistency without compromising the moistness. Can anyone share a Pound Cake recipe made from cake mix?

I have done extensive research and continue to come accross the same ingredients and measurments I already use for a regular sponge cake. PLEASE HELP!

3 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 4

In my opinion, you are never going to get a true pound cake using a mix. (unless it is actually a pound cake mix). Regular box cake is meant to be soft crumb and moist. However, I have found one of the most delicious pound cakes to be a recipe from Paula Dean. "Grandmother Paul's Sour Cream Pound Cake" I have made this cake a few times, but never in regular round pans, so I don't know how well it will bake up as a "layer" cake. I will post it and you can give it a go, if you like.

Grandmother Paul's Sour Cream Pound Cake

2 sticks butter
3 Cups sugar
1 Cup sour cream
3 Cups AP flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
6 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325. Cream butter and sugar together, add sour cream. Sift flour and baking soda together. Add to creamed mixture, alternately with eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Add vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Please follow the mixing directions as written. Trust me, I tried doing it differently, and it didn't work. icon_cool.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 4

Duncan Hines has a pound cake recipe on the box, but I think only on the lemon one. Though you could do the same with other flavors as well. I believe the only thing you do differently is add an extra egg and a small box of instant pudding mix. It comes out very moist but denser than a plain box mix.

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 4

I use a couple of different recipes from the "cake mix doctor" that are pound cake recipes. They are very dense, yet moist. I have used them for all types of cake, even carving. What flavor are you looking for?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%