Masonite Boards????

Decorating By brea1026 Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 1:57am by PinkZiab

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #31 of 41

OMG thank you xstitcher, now I know EXACTLY what it is. That link really helped (and yes it was me that didn't know what it was, even though I work @ Lowe's. LOL)

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidpayne

OMG thank you xstitcher, now I know EXACTLY what it is. That link really helped (and yes it was me that didn't know what it was, even though I work @ Lowe's. LOL)

Glad I could help! icon_smile.gif

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #33 of 41

When using masonite/mdf for each tier, what do you cover the board with?

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #34 of 41

So if you're doing a buttercream cake, do you still cover your presentation board with fondant?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:51pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

When using masonite/mdf for each tier, what do you cover the board with?

I don't. The cake goes right on the masonite board... only the presentation/baseboard gets fondant on top (with a well cut out for the bottom tier and ribbon trim on the sides)

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #36 of 41

I bought and cut some of my own masonite boards and found them to have a terrible smell after they were cut. I am keeping them in a plastic container so they havn't had a chance to air out. Will that smell go away if I bring them out of the box? Does that leach into the cake. I would hate to have a cake taste the way it smells.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #37 of 41

Okay, here is my take on what is being said.

Masonite is a thin, shiny white board that can be used on all layers of the cake. -----{Get a deposit}

Melamine is a solid shiny surface board, like countertop.------{Get a deposit}

MDF-(medium density fiber board) is actually bits of wood glued together to form a thick type of plywood.

Add one more possibility for your cakes. You can buy 1 or 2 inch styrofoam sheets that you can cut yourself in any shape or size. It is light weight and if you need it to be real sturdy, just glue two or three together. Price is about $7 for a 4X8 sheet.

I have a question that maybe someone can answer that is off this topic. Why does cake central block out any website that is not Global Sugar and insert that companies website?

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:03pm
post #38 of 41

dldbrou i would like to know that also... There has been a few posts including this one... where i cannot see the website and it would be really helpful to see different websites...

PinkZiab Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:29pm
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

Okay, here is my take on what is being said.

Masonite is a thin, shiny white board that can be used on all layers of the cake. -----{Get a deposit}

I have to jump in here... Masonite is NOT white. It's a brown fiberboard that comes in multiple thicknesses. It's NOT, however, glued together like other fiberboards (MDF, for example). It's made with a process using steam and doesn't contain any glue or formaldehyde like most fiberboard does, which is why it is considered a "natural" product, and safe for food contact.

Oh and I do not get a deposit on my masonite... It's a consumable product, and it gets built right into the cost of the cake.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:21am
post #40 of 41

PinkZiab, You are right about Masonite being brown, but it also comes in a hard white shiny surface like Whiteboard-Dry Erase Boards.

I said get a deposite because some people do not have a way of having these boards cut to the exact size over and over again. If you want your board back then get a deposit. It is just that simple. Good for you for including it in your price so that they can throw it away when they are done with the cake. I guess I prefer to recycle than to throw more junk in the landfill.

PinkZiab Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:57am
post #41 of 41

Oh if I had to have them custom cut I would never be bothered. I buy them from my cake supplier in all the standard sizes.

For me not charging a deposit is purely a business decision... it would cost me more in time and bookkeeping to track deposits and whatnot on less than $20 worth of materials (more or less, depending on size of cake) for every cake I do. If I was a hobbyist or only did 1-2 cakes a week, that might be worth it, but for me it definitely is not. Not telling anyone how to run their biz, just giving my experience so we can get all the info out there icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%