3 Tiered Wedding Cake For Family...newbie Help!!

Decorating By Courtscakes Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm by adree313

Courtscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Courtscakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 6

I am in need of help!! Here were the "requests"
All white buttercream flavored in almond with white designs on the outside.
3 tiers if it will feed 150 (they have a small sheet cake as well?)
Layers: Chocolate & Peanut Butter / White w/ raspberry preserves/ and top whatever???

Big questions?
How do i do the quilted diamond pattern?
Do i have to wait to do the cake until saturday(day of) because of the raspberry preserves?
Typically the cakes i've done have been simple and close to home. Do i tier then decorate or decorate then tier at the venue?
Any other white on white suggestions?

OHHHH and the best of all she bought me 3 premade tubs of buttercream...am i up a creek without a paddle???
PLEEEEEEASE Guide me!
And yes, thats begging icon_redface.gif

5 replies
caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtscakes

I am in need of help!! Here were the "requests"
All white buttercream flavored in almond with white designs on the outside.
3 tiers if it will feed 150 (they have a small sheet cake as well?)
Layers: Chocolate & Peanut Butter / White w/ raspberry preserves/ and top whatever???

Big questions?
How do i do the quilted diamond pattern?
Do i have to wait to do the cake until saturday(day of) because of the raspberry preserves?
Typically the cakes i've done have been simple and close to home. Do i tier then decorate or decorate then tier at the venue?
Any other white on white suggestions?

OHHHH and the best of all she bought me 3 premade tubs of buttercream...am i up a creek without a paddle???
PLEEEEEEASE Guide me!
And yes, thats begging icon_redface.gif

Oh, Courtscakes, I so wish I could help you but I'm a newbie also. I did want to wish you luck! You'll do just fine.

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 6

I have never made a wedding cake either, so I'm not much help. I don't have much luck when using preserves for filling though. I'm sure other more experienced bakers do... but my filling usually turns out so thin that it ends up squishing out... then I usually have a mess!! (LOL)

Good luck with your cake! I'm sure you will do just fine!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 6

sizes: play around with the wilton chart. http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
a 14-12-10 gives a little over 170 if i remmber right. but playing around with different sized tiers, odd numbers, and different size differences will get you closer to the right number. and you might want to look at 4 tiers as well.
remember at a wedding, it it is better practice to do a kitchen cake - so that it has the same numbers of layers, and types of filling and icing as the real deal. sheet cakes are one or two layers, and obviously not the real wedding cake - kitchen cakes are near as identical.

i would be wary of picking the top flavour - a wedding cake is personal, and its a big deal. but as long as you have their approval of your free will in writing, go for it. id probably be lazy and do more vanilla!

How do i do the quilted diamond pattern? - either buy an impression mat, or get out your ruler and start measuring!

Do i have to wait to do the cake until saturday(day of) because of the raspberry preserves? no. you can refridgerate the cake, if needed, if its properly covered.

Do i tier then decorate or decorate then tier at the venue? - It is up to you. some people travel with it stacked, some people stack onsite. personal call. do have all the tiers individually deorated first though what ever you do.

as for the premade buttercream... id not use it - unless you know how to work with it to get it smooth etc. if you can work with it, great. if not, just say you will be using your regular bc.

you will also need to check delivery to the venue as well, like when you can get in, when will the table be ready. but also, if you are unlicensed (you dont say) then they may not allow the cake in.
xx

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 6

Diamond cutter for impression. Check my pics. Jenifer Dontz has it for sale on SugarDelites, something like that. Pricey, but it's how you get the true look, if that's what you are looking for.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 6

i'm a TOTAL newbie, but i would suggest the raspberry sleeve filling if you're afraid of refrigerating. it tastes awesome and doesn't need the refrigeration. but, again, just a suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%