1St Birthday Cake For Lil Girl Need Cc's Help!

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm by mom2spunkynbug

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:32am
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone, I need to pick your brains on how to do this cake icon_smile.gif

I have a cake that I am doing for a little girl named Diandra who is turning one in September.

Mom has given me full cart Blanche on everything from cake and filling flavors to what the cake will look like and how its decorated.

Now I have come up with an idea and presented it to Mom and she loves it but I am not sure how to execute it, that's where you all come in. icon_smile.gif

The idea I have is to make a petal shaped base (10") and on top of that to have a large number one shaped cake approximately 8" tall with a little gum paste figure sitting on the bottom of the one holding her toes(she loves her toes).

My problem is that I am not sure how to make the number one. I am concerned because the cake will have to travel for one and a half hours to arrive at it's destination and at least 40 minutes of that is city driving in Toronto and the roads are terribly bumpy. I am not sure how to make a cake that will:

A) Not fall over during the drive

B) Will stand straight on top of the 10" petal cake.

I am thinking dowels straight down the number one, but am worried because the base may not have enough depth to hold such a long dowel in place, as well as shifting or leaning.

Mom really loves the idea and I would hate to have to scrap it and start thinking up something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading icon_smile.gif

Miss Lizzy

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 5

It's a cute idea but the transportation sounds like a nightmare.

Maybe you could change the design a bit...maybe a big cupcake sititng on top of the petal-shaped cake, with the baby sitting at the base of the cupcake and a big number 1 made of fondant standing on top of the cupcake?

You could also make part or all of the number 1 from rice krispie treats.

I recently made a very tall, skinny cake and the only way it got where it was going was that my sister's friend held the cake in his lap and held onto a skewer that was sticking through the cake and into the cake board. When they arrived, he pulled the skewer out and they put a rose on top to cover the hole.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:02am
post #3 of 5

Um, for future reference...you should think about all of this before presenting it to the client! LOL!

Why don't you do the number one out of rice krispie treats, cover in buttercream & fondant. It's still edible, but you don't have to worry about as much. Travel separated, and then when you get there stick the "1" (with a dowel already in it) into the petal cake.

Just an idea! icon_smile.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the helps ladies think the one is gonna have to be rice crispy treats adn hopefully all will turn out icon_smile.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 5

Good luck! I bet it'll be great! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%