Buttercream Roses

Decorating By CuppinCake Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 12:11pm by BCJean

CuppinCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuppinCake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #1 of 11

I dont know if this sounds crazy or not, but if I were to make roses ahead of time, would I be able to freeze them or refridgerate them and then add them to the cake a day or 2 ahead of time?

10 replies
CuppinCake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #2 of 11

I mean a day or 2 later.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 11

Freezing the roses actually makes it easier to put them on the cake so go for it!

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 11

I always make my buttercream roses ahead of time and put them in the refrigerator. That way, I can actually hold them to place them on the cake and if needed, move them around.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppinCake

I dont know if this sounds crazy or not, but if I were to make roses ahead of time, would I be able to freeze them or refridgerate them and then add them to the cake a day or 2 ahead of time?

I just froze some last week added to the cake last night , it works

CuppinCake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:43am
post #6 of 11

Awesome..thanks so much! Im making a 2 tier cake for my grandparents wedding anniversary so hopefully itll look nice. I have done a tier cake yet or flowers for that matter. wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:18am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppinCake

Awesome..thanks so much! Im making a 2 tier cake for my grandparents wedding anniversary so hopefully itll look nice. I have done a tier cake yet or flowers for that matter. wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

You can do it, post a picture(: just remember to put cake boards between each tier and dowel rod them

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:57am
post #8 of 11

You can freeze buttercream roses, you can also let them air dry, which is what I prefer. If you air dry them they are very light in weight, once the moisture is gone. You can arrange them easier this way. Air dried roses are crusty on the outside buy are still soft on the inside and can still be cut and eaten with the cake.

The floral arrangement I did on this cake was with air dried roses as well as the violets. It makes placing them on the cake a lot easier.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1305088

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

You can freeze buttercream roses, you can also let them air dry, which is what I prefer. If you air dry them they are very light in weight, once the moisture is gone. You can arrange them easier this way. Air dried roses are crusty on the outside buy are still soft on the inside and can still be cut and eaten with the cake.

The floral arrangement I did on this cake was with air dried roses as well as the violets. It makes placing them on the cake a lot easier.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1305088

How long do you let them air dry to be able to handle them? Do you leave them out on the counter uncovered or covered?

thanks

Benisha

cakebaker1957 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm
post #10 of 11

The only reason i froze mine was that i was crunched for time , Air dried would be good as well,

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesha

How long do you let them air dry to be able to handle them? Do you leave them out on the counter uncovered or covered?

thanks

Benisha

I usually make my roses in the evening and let them air dry over night. I then decorate the cake the following day. The beach wedding cake I did, I made orchids and I made them like a week ahead of time and placed them on the cake. If I am going to keep them more than one day, I place them in a covered container until ready to use. The ones I will be using within 24 hours I just leave out, with a paper towel covering them. You will be surprised at how light weight they become and how easy it is to arrange them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%