Is It Possible? Cake Pans As Cake Dummies!

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm by khoudek

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, now don't laugh, PLEASE....

I don't have any cake dummies, is it possible to somehow turn my cake pans upside down & practice on them in any way?

Crystal
SAHM to Madison (9, HLHS), Natalie (5, Healthy), Neveah (1, renal dysplasia), & 1 angel (m/c on 11/15/0icon_cool.gif

9 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 10

Sure! Need to to get them to stay put somehow though, or they'll just slip and slide around if you try to ice them.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 10

Will your layers be tall enough? Other than that and if you are not poking anything into the "cake", I don't see why not... I suppose you could "practice" on anything, lol!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 10

Oh, heck, yeah, I've suggested using cake pans to practice many times, on here. You can use a cake carrier cover, too. The old Tupperware ones work best - the ones with the detatchable handle.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 10

I have some pieces of 4" foam that I want to cut and use as practice 'cakes'. There's just so much cake my husband can consume, even with his sweet tooth!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 10

I get the impression from many photos in the Wilton annuals that they do this (the upside-down pan thing, I mean), but maybe the little silver edge at the bottom is just a cake base cut to size. I don't see why it wouldn't work, though, as long as you can keep it from moving around, like Jamie said. Maybe a little RI or buttercream all around the edge of the pan. I like playingwithsugar's idea of using a cake carrier for taller cakes. Dummies are pretty expensive! And I know what you mean, JoJo0855, about there only being so much cake you can consume -- I live alone, I've caked out all my friends and family and I'm always trying to lose weight icon_cry.gificon_biggrin.gif ! The last three or four class cakes I did, I used dummies.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 10

Marianna46: I'm diabetic so of course have to watch my sugar intake, the hubby, of course gets tired of the same dessert night after night. Plus he's not a big fan of fondant.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:57am
post #8 of 10

How about an ice cream bucket/pail? I've used a plastic cole-slaw container I had hanging around to do it. I put a piece of non-slip liner between the container and my turntable. It doesn't slip so to speak, but it will tip over if you're not careful. Still, no harm done since it's just practice.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #9 of 10

Yes I gave a cake pan and let grand child turn it upside down and cover it with fondant and decorate, and she had a ball

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 10

I tell my students to do this all the time. This is a great way to develop your skill set without baking another cake to practice on. You can only eat so much cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%