Need Help With Recipe I'm Making Today

Decorating By tmsouth Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm by tmsouth

tmsouth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmsouth Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 3

I made up a "master mix" for cakes and it made 3 dry batches that I froze. I made a yellow one that turned out really good. Now I thought I would try the chocolate one. It calls for adding 3 squares unsweetened chocolate and 3 Tblsp. cocoa powder to it but no additional sugar. The original recipe had 4 1/2 cups of sugar in it, that would be divided by 3 since it made 3 batches. What should I do if I taste it and it doesn't taste sweet enough? Will adding sugar mess up the consistency of the cake. I have not had much experience making scratch cakes.

Thanks for any help. I'm glad I found this forum

Toni

2 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 3

The only thing you can really do is play with the recipe. I would make it how it was written first (mix and bake, then taste). If it doesn't turn out how you would like, then adjust the recipe a bit (taste and repeat). Just make sure that you keep track of everything that you are doing to the recipe so you know what to do/what NOT to do for next time.

Good luck!

tmsouth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmsouth Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 3

I decided to use semi-sweet squares instead and I'm glad I did because it didn't taste very sweet. I made up for it though the icing is super-sweet. It is Caramel Buttercream. Good thing I am giving it away. It is hard when you love to bake and are a diabetic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%