Can You Put Fondant On A Cake Iced With Cream Cheese?

Decorating By HAVEHOPE Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 2:48pm by Marianna46

HAVEHOPE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HAVEHOPE Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 5

I've been making cakes for 18 years, selling my cakes for the last 8, and have recently been asked to do a wedding cake. This will be iced with cream cheese icing. This is pretty much all I've worked with because my clients really love the taste of it. Incredibly, even though it takes much longer, I can achieve really nice design with it. However, the bride of the upcoming wedding I'm doing wants a fondant bow topper on the very top of the cake. And she also wants 3/4- 1" fondant strips coming down the bottom layer of the cake, spread about 1 1/2-2 inches apart.

My question is...am I able to put the bows on the cake that is iced with cream cheese? And...can it be refrigerated after placement on the cake or will the fondant crack?

The bottom 2 layers and top layer of the cake will be "dummy" layers. The 2nd layer will be the one they cut.

Thanks so much for any help you all can give me!

4 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:45am
post #2 of 5

Why would you want to waste cream cheese icing on the dummy layers ?

I would ice those in Shortening based BC and only use the Cream cheese icing on the one to be cut.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:51am
post #3 of 5

I've been told you can't. Of course, all that means is try it first before you use it in a final project. In my experience, if you put fondant on anything softer than buttercream, it starts to melt and the colors run. I'm aslo leery of putting fondant in the fridge. The time I did it, it not only cracked, but the condensation, when I took it out, started to melt the flowers and other decorations and the condensation that formed on the surface never really dried up. On the other hand, I know people who refrigerate fondant all the time and have no trouble with it. If you have time before you have to deliver the cake, I'd experiment with that, too.
I see this is your first post and you just joined today. Let me just say, "Welcome!". I think you'll like it here. It's full of ideas and recipes and information and a whole bunch of really warm people who all have something useful to say, from the most professional to the rankest beginner.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 5

I use cream cheese frosting often, and almost all of my cakes are fondant (satin ice). I refrigerate all of my cakes, without exception.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 5

OK, PinkZiab, all of the fondant-impaired out here are ready for a tutorial icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif ! Fondant, heat, humidity, refrigeration and I are not the best of friends. I'd kill to know how you do it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%