Looking For A Moist White Cake Recipe Can Anyone Help!

Decorating By jclvs2 Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm by AngelFood4

jclvs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jclvs2 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #1 of 29

I have a wedding in Oct. and I'm doing a white and chocolate cupcake tree. I have a white cake recipe but it is not as moist as I'd like. I have tried 3 other recipes before I got this one. Just wondering if anyone can share a good white cake recipe that is super moist? Thanks!

28 replies
bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #2 of 29

I'd love to hear some ideas on this too! I've tried five recipes (no mixes)...and just not convinced that one of them is "the one". The best one so far used sour cream and mayo- I was wondering if that recipe would need to be kept refrigerated...prob not since the ones with eggs, cream cheese, etc., don't need to be...

clarasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarasmommy Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 29

WASC... SO GOOD white almond sour cream. holds up well, and is delicious.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #4 of 29

I use Kakeladi's "Original" WASC recipe . Everyone loves it and it is Moist.

This One......

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7445-4-The-Original-WASC-cake-recipe.html

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 29

Here is a good one and it's pretty fool proof and super easy! It uses the reverse method so you add the butter to the dry first and then add the liquids. There is no whipping egg whites either!

White Cake:

Actually JanH...

The recipe came from here.

http://bakingbites.com/2005/04/cooking-school-white-cake-and-buttercream/

jclvs2 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:42am
post #6 of 29

Thank you all ! I did find the WASC recipe and now very eager to try it. Does it stay moist even if I freeze it ? I'm going to be making 100 cupcakes so I will be making them a few weeks before the wedding. Any thoughts? Tks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #7 of 29

This thread contains Rebecca Sutterby's and kakeladi's Original WASC cake recipe (with variations):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Both versions are very moist and freeze well. icon_smile.gif

HTH

jclvs2 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:08am
post #8 of 29

Thank you very much JanH !! I'll check that out! Let me ask you another question. Have you or anyone else ever worked with the Satin Ice Fondant? If so can you tell me does this get real hard over time? I am making 200 Greberas for a wedding and tryin to fiqure out how soon I should make them taking in consideration the drying time also before storing. Thanks for any thoughts!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclvs2

Thank you all ! I did find the WASC recipe and now very eager to try it. Does it stay moist even if I freeze it ? I'm going to be making 100 cupcakes so I will be making them a few weeks before the wedding. Any thoughts? Tks!

Freezing just makes cakes more moist!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:

Thank you very much JanH !! I'll check that out! Let me ask you another question. Have you or anyone else ever worked with the Fondant? If so can you tell me does this get real hard over time? I am making 200 Greberas for a wedding and tryin to fiqure out how soon I should make them taking in consideration the drying time also before storing. Thanks for any thoughts!!

I love Satin Ice. It will harden in a few days, but won't get super super hard. If you want it to get hard, use a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mixture. Or add tylose to your fondant.

You could start making your flowers a month or two in advance if you wanted to. Just make sure that you store them safely. Keep them away from any light.

jclvs2 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #11 of 29

Thanks Cylstrial , That is good to hear. I was planning on letting them set out for about a week then put them into plasctic airtight contaners and layer between wax or parchment paper. And kept in a closet where it would be dark.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 29

I use the Baking Bites recipe posted above... I believe it's from Cooks Illustrated, as I have the exact same recipe from that source, too. It's very tasty and I just used it for a wedding cake. Very very moist.

One word of caution: do not overfill the pans. Practice run it first, because too little is not a tall enough cake, and too much will make the middle sink down. This cake will not dome.

But it's very tasty! icon_smile.gif

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 29

I just did 2 cakes and cupcakes using Kakeladi's WASC (changed up some wet ingredients) and it was fantastic! Everyone loved it! It was super moist and I froze both the cakes and the cupcakes! We are still eating the leftovers!!

Karenreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenreg Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:53pm
post #14 of 29

I just happened to have a look at this thread .I too wanna try the WASC recipe as recommended by most on CC .Had 1 question, the recipe says 1 box cake mix - (Need a clarification on that, coz I noticed the boxes say 2 8 or 9 inch pans, does 1/2 that pack mean 1 box mix or do i use the entire mix that makes Two 8-9 inch pans) I hope its not confusing & u got what I'm trying to ask.

Any help on this is much appreciated.

TIA

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 29

The recipe does call for one box of white cake mix. So yes you use the entire box of white cake mix.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:04pm
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenreg

I just happened to have a look at this thread .I too wanna try the WASC recipe as recommended by most on CC .Had 1 question, the recipe says 1 box cake mix - (Need a clarification on that, coz I noticed the boxes say 2 8 or 9 inch pans, does 1/2 that pack mean 1 box mix or do i use the entire mix that makes Two 8-9 inch pans) I hope its not confusing & u got what I'm trying to ask.

Any help on this is much appreciated.

TIA

If you made the cake mix as written it would yield enough batter for two 8 or 9" pans that were 1-1/2" tall.

As decorator pans are 2" or even 3" tall, more cake batter is required. The extender/enhancer recipes such as WASC cake add to the dry mix so that the yield (using Rebecca Sutterby's recipe and 1 DH cake mix) would be a tad over 7 cups of batter.

Each 8" round (2" deep) requires 3-1/2 cups of batter so 1/2 recipe of RS's WASC yields the perfect amount of batter.

HTH

grandmacupcake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmacupcake09 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:25pm
post #17 of 29
Quote:

I have a wedding in Oct. and I'm doing a white and chocolate cupcake tree. I have a white cake recipe but it is not as moist as I'd like. I have tried 3 other recipes before I got this one. Just wondering if anyone can share a good white cake recipe that is super moist? Thanks!

Go to www.creativedesignscakes.com and you can see a series of videos on cake baking. I tried this recipe and it is great.

jclvs2 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm
post #18 of 29

Thanks but I can't take credit for that one AngelFood4. The link was from grandmacupcake09. Gotta give credit where credit is due. thumbs_up.gif I am headed to the link myself. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #19 of 29

Ooops sorry. THANK YOU grandmacupcake09's! I watched all the video's. I was struggling with resolving the bulge issue and she totally covered it. Thanks again!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #20 of 29

WASC all the way. I am a believer. I found the recipe on here, just about 2 weeks before I did a wedding cake. So I practiced it on my son's birthday cake and it was a hit, even for the bride/groom to be, so I knew it would be the recipe I used for their wedding cake. I'm not interested in another white cake recipe after finding it. Not for now, anyway. I'm dying to try the Red Velvet version (MacsMom) and her chocolate version.

AngelFood4 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #21 of 29

I made Kakeladi's WASC recipe cake this past weekend with sour cream and added milk instead of water and it was very moist and delicious.

Here's the link: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

jclvs2 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #22 of 29

Wow ! AnglFood4 Thank YOU for that link! I have been looking for certain recipes I've been hearing about here on CC and now I found them. I have been looking for a Chai cake recipe and now I have one thank you !!!

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:26am
post #23 of 29

How would I adjust the WASC recipe so as to not use a box mix?

AngelFood4 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstephan

How would I adjust the WASC recipe so as to not use a box mix?

On the link above there is scratch version (4th one from the top).

jclvs2 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #25 of 29

Hey everyone, I just made the WASC recipe today and I LOVE IT !!! Thank you for telling me about this recipe!!!. I am very happy with it!! I was wondering though if anyone has made cupcakes only and can tell me how many standard size cupcakes this full recipe could make?

Spices5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spices5 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm
post #26 of 29

Angelfood4 just was wondering where can I find the scratch version because can't seem to locate it.
I have to make everything from scratch because where I live the box cakes are way to expensive they cost like 4 x more than what I will pay for them in the US
So any help for me on how to make moist cakes from scratch will really make me happy lol

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #27 of 29

Spices5 - check out Rebecca Rather's White on White Buttermilk recipe

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/White-on-White-Buttermilk-Cake-with-Jack-Daniels-Buttercream/7175/

Very good, moist white cake from scratch. Tender cake while warm but firms up as it cools. It is my favorite right now icon_biggrin.gif

Spices5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spices5 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #28 of 29

Thanks for the site info ibmoser
I will be giving this a go tomorrow for my wedding cake trail run

AngelFood4 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spices5

Angelfood4 just was wondering where can I find the scratch version because can't seem to locate it.
I have to make everything from scratch because where I live the box cakes are way to expensive they cost like 4 x more than what I will pay for them in the US
So any help for me on how to make moist cakes from scratch will really make me happy lol

Sorry for the delay. I haven't made the scratch version yet but below is one by seriouscakes that she uses as the base (she has a youtube video too). I hope this helps answer your question.

Scratch Version (yellow cake) - seriouscakes recipe submitted by Sayhellojana "...I adapt recipes the same way MacsMom does but with a scratch recipe as my base. You can change sub out other wet ingredients for the milk... yogurts, fruit puree, flavored syrups, etc - and it's delicious, very consistent, and easy to make."

2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. milk
*I have tried this with part butter and part shortening and didn't like it very much, it turned out very greasy, I believe because butter has a lower melting point. This recipe can be halved or doubled with the same results and also used to make cupcakes (bake for about 15-20 mins). You can also use other flavorings or add some orange or lemon zest. This recipe will make two tall 8" round layers, two shorter 8" square or 9" round layers, or one short 9x13 layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%