Gumpaste Floral Spray

Decorating By kokopuff Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 4:01pm by kokopuff

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:59am
post #1 of 6

I want to make a floral spray for a 3 tiered cake.I need it to go from top to bottom, down the side.My question is do I need to make it in 3-4 different sprays and then stick them all together to look as one or is it possible to just make one long cascading piece?I am wanting to make roses,leaves and filler flowers.I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the tiers will be 6,10 and 12 and it will be for Aug.22. so I also need suggestions on when I should start on it and about how many roses you suggest I make?I thought about starting tom.but was afraid that may be to soon.I searched the forum and you tube and could only find tutorials on short ones and this will be my first time making gumpaste roses so I am excited and nervous about doing it right!Any suggestions will be appreciated!TIA

5 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 6

One long spray would be VERY difficult to handle. Making several small sprays and some lose flowers and leaves will be much easier to make as well as attach to the cake.

Since gumpaste flower sprays can be heavy you will probably want to use straws or flower picks to arrange the flowers. Wires should not be stuck into the cake. Cover the wires with floral tape as well as using the straws (cheap) or flower picks (great but more expensive). There are a couple of negatives about using flower picks. They are short so they could still rip through the cake and even if you ask to get them back you probably won't.

The number of roses you will need will depend on the size you make and how open they are. Rose buds are great for filling negative spaces and adding dimension. Buds are fast to make too.

As for shen to start, now would be great. This will give you more time to work on them. Wiring takes almost as long to do as making the flowers. Keep them out of direct sunlight and away from moisture.

HTH

Michele

cakeslammin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeslammin Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #3 of 6

when i make gumpaste flowers...i put a styraform sheet fitted into a 4"plastic box with a lid. the kind you get at walmart etc. i usually put my flowers on toothpicks or wires depending on if the flower is going into the cake or to be grouped together by wire... let air dry over night...with the lid off. then keep the lid on the box until you are ready to put them on the cake. they will last forever that way and it is a good way to travel with them. good luck...also...make extra flowers for replacements in case you have any breakage in transport etc.

kokopuff Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies! So I should just make probably about 3-4 different sprays and adjust them so they look as 1 piece?Also this will be a buttercream cake will the gumpaste flowers be to heavy?

cakeslammin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeslammin Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 6

you can use gumpaste on buttercream...just remember the flowers can get heavy depending on the type of flower etc. i would put them on toothpicks or straws so that when placing them on the cake..it will go in deep enought to hold it up. good luck

kokopuff Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%