Roses

Decorating By jen4230 Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm by tonedna

jen4230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen4230 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 16

I have a question about roses is it better to make them from buttercream, royal icing, fondant or gumpast? this cake is for a wedding so i want it to be just right and is there an easier method to making the roses than the one wilton has?
icon_redface.gif
Thank you

15 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 16

I love gumpaste roses. They are more delicate than buttercream. There is always the option of using fresh. The five petal cutter is the easiest way to do but some people don't know how to use it.
I have a tutorial in Youtube but is separate petals..To me a bit more intricate. But I used circle cutters so anybody could at leas try it..

Thats my homepage in youtube. There are lots of videos in there..
Edna icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 16

tonedna....Edna....you are genuinely one of the nicest, smartest, and most talented women I've 'met' in a long time. I admire you and your talents so much.
Thank you for all that you share with us!!

Best Wishes to you

tonedna Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks Sweetjan.. That means a lot.... icon_smile.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 16

I've watched Edna's youtube and she's great. I LOVE to make gumpaste/fondant/candy clay roses.!! You can place the petals where you want them unlike buttercream!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I love gumpaste roses. They are more delicate than buttercream. There is always the option of using fresh. The five petal cutter is the easiest way to do but some people don't know how to use it.
I have a tutorial in Youtube but is separate petals..To me a bit more intricate. But I used circle cutters so anybody could at leas try it..

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 16

I have watched Edna's You-tube tutorials for the calla lilly and the roses, they are simply wonderful. I mainly work in fondant, have done some gumpaste. Thanks Edna for being such a wonderful person. Oh yeah, her other tutorials are GREAT TOO!
Hammy

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 16

Gumpaste roses are oerfect on a wedding cake and Edna's tutorial is the best for learning to make perfect roses!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #9 of 16

WE LOVE YOU EDNA!!!! Go for fondant/gumpaste roses!!!!!!!!!!

jen4230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen4230 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:47am
post #10 of 16

Thank you everybody. I will have to watch Ednas youtube videos and hopefully pick it up quickly so i can get about 100 roses done before the 15th. Thanks again..

tonedna Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

Holy Mother of GOD!!!!...Those are perfect!...I taught you well!...Wait till I do a tutorial on how to use the five petal cutter.. icon_lol.gif you would be unstopable!

I am working righ now on a DVD on Stargazer Lilies..It will have every detail from how to make pistil, the stamens, the petals, the leaves, How to color and put together, paint and even the bud!.. Is more than an hour of detailed information on how to make this flowers..Im hoping to be finish soon.. before the month ends.

Why not for youtube??...well, Youtube only allows me ten minutes. Even for the roses I needed to do shorcuts, so imagine all that can be achieved with all the information!
I will still keep adding short stuff in youtube.. I love sharing my love for cakes with everybody. Thats why I always try to answer everyone's Pm's

Thanks guys for all the support!...

Going back to those OMG....so perfect!... icon_rolleyes.gif

Edna icon_smile.gif

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:35am
post #12 of 16

thanks, Edna, we all love to watch you!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:51am
post #13 of 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

Holy Mother of GOD!!!!...Those are perfect!...I taught you well!...Wait till I do a tutorial on how to use the five petal cutter.. icon_lol.gif you would be unstopable!

I am working righ now on a DVD on Stargazer Lilies..It will have every detail from how to make pistil, the stamens, the petals, the leaves, How to color and put together, paint and even the bud!.. Is more than an hour of detailed information on how to make this flowers..Im hoping to be finish soon.. before the month ends.

Why not for youtube??...well, Youtube only allows me ten minutes. Even for the roses I needed to do shorcuts, so imagine all that can be achieved with all the information!
I will still keep adding short stuff in youtube.. I love sharing my love for cakes with everybody. Thats why I always try to answer everyone's Pm's

Thanks guys for all the support!...

Going back to those OMG....so perfect!... icon_rolleyes.gif

Edna icon_smile.gif

Edna, you cannot possibly know how much your compliment means.
Thanks so much!

Sign me up for the DVD!!! (Jumping for joy here) Can't wait to get my hands on it. It's one of my next projects --especially since the BIG day for native Louisvillian's at Derby time is actually the day before... The Oaks. The prize blanket for that race is made from Stargazer Lilies.

tonedna Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:11am
post #14 of 16

Oh nice!...I love the stargazer..lovely flowers!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #15 of 16

Edna....

You are fantastic! Love, love, love your tutorials!

How will we know when your DVD is done and ready to purchase? I didn't think that you could advertise on CC. Do you have a list or a place to sign up on your website? I really, really, really want this lily DVD!

Did you ever do a YouTube with the 5 petal rose cutter? I want to learn how to do my roses better with this cutter.

Also on your BC recipe - if you want to use ALL Hi Ratio shortening how much do you use? From what I have read on CC it sounds like you use less HiRatio then you do regular Crico or butter. I just don't want to have my recipe fail by using too much HiRatio. Then also what about the amount of liquid - does that change also? I am assuming that this recipe crusts.

Thanks for your help!

tonedna Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 16

I dont think I can adevertise here..I just mention what Im working on.

As for the five petal tutorial, I havent done that yet..

Some people do use less..And I think it would work fine too.. It's never been a problem for me. But if you want to save some high ratio, do it.. lol It's a matter of then fixing the consistensy of the water so is not too hard or too thin.

Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%