Icing A 4In. Cake...help Please

Decorating By grannys3angels Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm by grannys3angels

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any ideas, ways, youtubes or websites, that show a great way to iced a 4in. cake with buttercream?

I had something save on my old pc that show a wonderful way to ice a 4in. cake to where it didn't move around. I can not for the life me remember how they did it. icon_redface.gif ....but I can remember all to well what troubles I had last time I iced a 4in. icon_smile.gif

I would thankful and greatful any and all help!
God Bless,
Sharon

7 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 8

good question....here's a bump.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 8

Edited to say ... I should have thought before I answered. Maybe then I would have answered the right question. icon_redface.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 8

It is a good starting place, but I think the OP is asking about tips for icing such a small cake. The only thing I can offer is to be patient and use lots of frosting. I usually don't crumbcoat, but for this small of a cake I would. The lighter the cake is, the easier it is to move the cake as you're smoothing the icing. I've used drawer liners in the past on my turntable to help keep the cake in place. For some more help, I used to hold onto the cake board with my pointer and thumb as I turn the turntable, just so the cake doesn't move on me. If you still need some help, why not try taping the cake down? Just use a little roll of tape on the bottom of the board to hold it onto the turntable. I would also make sure my icing is very soft. If it's very soft, it spreads easier.

Good Luck!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 8

I just had to do three of these little boogars last night. They sure are a pain in the butt! I find it most helpful to pipe the icing on using rows and then lightly go over it with my spatula. Then you can smooth the way you usually do.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 8

I always use one of the big icer tips........I couldn't get it iced without one....also helps if you attach the cake to your board using a bit of icing and then set the board on some non skid shelf liner and put that on your turntable....then it won't slide around on you...........and most importantly........make sure your icing is thin enough.if it's too thick it'll move your cake around as you push it and rip your poor little cake to shreds! I've done quite a few 4" rounds and 5" rounds!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 8

A dab of corn syrup on the turntable.

Mike

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 8

Ohh THANKS! so very much everyone for all the information and advice, I am very greatful for all the help thumbs_up.gif

Wish me much needed luck with this little stinker icon_lol.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%