Can Anyone Give Me Some Help Regarding A Mango Filling?

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 3:11am by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake for next weekend, and for one of the tiers they want vanilla cake with mango filling. I thought I would make mango flavoured SMBC for the filling layers, with slices of fresh mango added to the middle. I will be assembling this cake on Thursday at the latest, and it will be displayed at the wedding on Saturday, but not served until a family party on Sunday (strange, I know - they have lots of desserts at the actual wedding and just want it for display).

My concerns are:
1. That, since this is the bottom tier of three it may be a bit slippery with the mango slices.
2. Whether the mango might go brown or worse in the period between me assembling the cake and them serving it.
I'm wondering whether it might be better to chop the mango finely and add it into the SMBC - might the BC then 'seal' the mango to prevent the air getting to it and turning it brown. Also thinking this might make the filling less slippy..?

I think I will do a test run, but would really appreciate any input from someone who has experience with this kind of filling. Many thanks.

5 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know how fresh mango would hold up with SMBC since I don't work with it (SMBC). But, what about if you make a fresh mango curd? I would just take a basic curd recipe and tweak it to your personal taste. Atleast that way you wouldn't have to worry about the fresh mango slices going bad (or atleast the chance that they might).

Hopefully you get some more input.

Good luck!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 6

Mango Mousse

Mike

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 6

I once made the coconut mango filling that is posted here on cc, but i made it one day in advance, and even though it was in a bowl wrapped tight it still got brown.

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 6

Mango puree/chutney.
Its mango simmered with sugar and spices. (Corn starch can be added to thicken.) Then pureed (a few pluses in food processor). End up like the regular fillings you get by the sleeves.
Is the family from the carribean/west indies? This is where I'm from and its the only place I know of where they don't serve the wedding cake at the reception. It is considered bad luck ( more like superstition if you ask me) for non-family/relatives to eat the wedding cake.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate the input - I'm going to buy a couple of mangos tomorrow and try out a few of these ideas, along with what the client asked for (sliced fresh mangos) and see what works best.

BTW No, they are not West Indian (East Indian, actually!). I think the decision not to serve the cake at the reception is purely practical, as they have lots of desserts there, and a big family party the next day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%