This Isn't My Day!

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 7:20am by PianoDiva

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:52am
post #1 of 20

I promised my husband I wouldn't make any cakes for a month. The month is supposed to be up Aug 4th. Monday the maintenance man for the apt complex told me they had moved his dad's party up to this weekend (in other words, he forgot when his dad's birthday was icon_lol.gif ).

I don't know how it is everywhere else, but here in hotter-than-heck SouthTX anyone who knows how to keep your air conditioner running, and running well, is your best friend in the summer. Especially in an apartment complex where they may have 10 AC's go out in a day, I want to be at the top of the repair list. So despite my promise to hubby, I'm baking a bustier cake for my best friend the maintenance man.

Last night I made the fondant and I decided to add some cheap vanilla. Something in it made my MMF really crumbly...both batches, plain and chocolate. I got them fixed up with some glycerine and cornstarch, so they're at least usable, if not great.

Then I was getting my tools out and I couldn't find the end cap for the clay extruder. I looked everywhere. I tried to go to sleep but I couldn't because I couldn't find it. Still no luck, in any of my tubs, toolboxes, drawers, closet, etc...I even looked in the disposal with a flashlight and crawled around the kitchen floor to see if it had fallen somewhere and gotten stuck. When I got up I called my mom to see if she'd seen it when she was rummaging through my kitchen. No luck. I promised the kids a dollar to find it. No luck. Hubby wasn't speaking to me and I won't tell you how I had to make him talk, but he hadn't seen it either. Finally I found it underneath the strainer in the sink. It wasn't there yesterday. Oh well, at least I found it.

And tonight I was baking the cakes. Red velvet, not my favorite but what I made for the maintenance man's birthday last month, so that's what he wants for his dad. I used Mac'sMom's recipe and it was starting to smell wonderful in here...and then...we don't use the f-word in my kitchen (the f-word being fire)...but the cakes overflowed and we had some oven issues.

Now I'm stuck waiting for it to cool down enough to clean out the oven. I can't remember ever overflowing a cake before. icon_sad.gif

19 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:01am
post #2 of 20

Awwwww! (((hugs))). But there is one little part in your story that almost made me spit water on the keyboard!!! Heeeee heeee heeeeee!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 20

Texasrose, do you follow me around ensuring our lives are swcrewed up in the same places??

I can make you feel better.
(sorry about the looong paragraph but I feel it is necessary to show how something can go on and on and on).

It was Yesterday, I work part time for a merchandising company and have to travel to Walmarts. Normally I only have 3 stores but this week a coworker was on vacation so I was covering for her.
Got up early and went to my first store no problem.
Used my GPS to get to the next store and still no problem untill I went to leave the store and realized that in my rush to get the visit done I had locked my purse, keyes and wallet in the car( I only needed my small handheld computer to get my work done). Here I am in a strange small town and it is raining HARD. I call a locksmith who 45 minutes later sloooowwwly gets out of his car blowing cigarette smoke in my face and $35.00 latter he gets my car unlocked. I run into the store to get cash from the atm for him and he informs me he "forgot" to bring a reciept so now I cannot get reimbursed from my insurance company. UGHHH, I just need to get tot he next store. Soaked I finally get there and quickly finish my visit. I get into the car and key in the next store to the GPS which decides to freeze and stayed that way for 6 hours. SO now I am stuck on a small country road, my cell has no reception and I have no idea how to get to the next town. I take a chance and luckily I chose the correct road and make it to the next store. I finish the visit and head to the next store in the POURING rain. I decide to buy apple juice and carry it out to the car where the bag splits and the jug falls to the ground breaking the lid off and showering me in apple juice (VERY STICKY). I am now sticky, tired and soaked by the rain. I finally get home and hubby has made dinner. Great but for his ability to use every pan, utensil and dish he can lay hand to. SO after scrubbing every inch of the kitchen and 2 dishwasher loads later I finally get to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my sticky stiff hair covered head.

NOW, smile and finish the damn cake! icon_smile.gif

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Texasrose, do you follow me around ensuring our lives are swcrewed up in the same places??

I can make you feel better.

NOW, smile and finish the damn cake! icon_smile.gif

OH MY!!! I hope to never have a day like this...hope the rest of the week made up for a lousy day icon_rolleyes.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 20

Okay, you made me feel better!!!

The cake is done. I'm going to walk it over there now, hopefully I don't fall on my butt on the way over icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry you had such a bad day, Bee-boos. Hope today is a better one icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 20

Awe shucks my day sucks too! Sorry for whats going on in your house!
As for my house I have been sick and kind of on strike from being sick and tired of being everyone's maid even though I am sick. Add the regular monthly issues with that and all I have wanted to do is curl up with a good book. SO I got hooked completely on the Twighlight series. Not sure why I dragged my feet soo long on even getting started on them but Im in the thick of it now. I am four days in and in the third book. My house was a mess until my hubby got the kids fired up enough to pitch in and help so I tackled the kitchen. Tomorrow is my Nanny's 92ND B-day and guess who was supposed to be making a cake. I didn't want to start while I still had stuff lingering in my chest because I don't want to contaminate anyone with my germs in the cake. OK so this morning I have to get started right. WRONG!!!! There is a water leak in the neighborhood and my water was tuned off tilll they get it fixed. I have not made the cakes, the fondant, this buttercrea or the gumpaste. I don't even know at this point when or if my water will get turned back on. The water company says they have no idea. SO I am at this moment SOL! And I really need a shower to boot. But being that we moved in her less then long enough to know our neighbors a few streets over for me to ask anyone if I can come shower or take over their kitchen. STILL SOL!!! ARG!!!!

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 20

I have to say, I'm sorry, but this is the funniest post I've read all month. Sorry for laughing at both your expenses. I really do hope all turns out well today! I'll probably pay for laughing when I make my next cake. icon_lol.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 20

Oh Hell no! I just found out that my husband is going to the Toby Kieth concert tonight with his buddy. AND HE HATES COUNTRY MUSIC! I have been listening to Toby since before he was famous and I think he should have turned it down if I could not go too. He seems to think that bringing home a picture of him with Toby (they have backstage passes) will make me feel better. icon_evil.gif

cindy1176 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:

Oh Hell no! I just found out that my husband is going to the Toby Kieth concert tonight with his buddy. AND HE HATES COUNTRY MUSIC! I have been listening to Toby since before he was famous and I think he should have turned it down if I could not go too. He seems to think that bringing home a picture of him with Toby (they have backstage passes) will make me feel better. icon_evil.gif

Hope he fits in the dog house...

cakeychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeychick Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 20

Ok so I read this post not even 5 minutes ago and really enjoyed it by laughing my head off. I looked at the time and realized that I needed to take my lunch, so I walked out of my office to heat up my food. I work in a hospital setting, so we have emergency eye wash stations in the breakrooms. Someone had stacked a few large binders in front of the microwave so as I moved them, one slid into the eye wash station turning on the sprayer. I managed to quickly turn it off, but not until I had drenched myself, my hair and my lunch! The ladies in the breakroom found it hysterical. I must say I am much cooler now. Too bad I look like I took a shower with my clothes on. Guess I'll be spending the next few hours in my office while I dry off. Oh - and sorry for laughing at your misery. Karma.....I swear!

cindy1176 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 20

I will not laugh, I will not laugh, I will not laugh...

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 20

Ewe, i've had a day (or two) like that myself! icon_sad.gif

When i frist started baking out of my house, i had a standing order for a company that wanted a colossal cupcake for each employee's birthday. The VERY FIRST one i had to do- all baked and decorated, bagged, ready to go EXCEPT the ribbons! So, i cut a bunch of curly ribbons, wrap them around the tie, and when i go to curl the ribbon with my scissors?? Pulled the ENTIRE cupcake right off the counter! SPLAT!! in the middle of my kitchen floor!! hubby and kids thought it was hilarious!! i, on the other hand, did not find it the least bit funny. icon_eek.gif

And the sad part is, no matter how bad someone's day might be, there is always someone with an even WORSE day than yours!!

I'm thankful for CC'ers who share the load!!

Good luck on tomorrow!! thumbs_up.gif

nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 20

can we all say been there done that, I'm having a bad week too! I was told by corp. that I can't have no more one person cake decorating classes and the new store manager decides that if I can't be more available to work then I get less hours in the store. I teach Mon- Thurs @ night, work part time for HL Mon-Thurs days and Fri and Sat days or nights, when I'm not there I'm trying to sell houses and do appraisals and raise a 6 & 3 year old and have a 9 week old! Lets Not Go There!!!

CdnTX066 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CdnTX066 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #14 of 20

I have had a rough week too. Two weeks ago, I was asked to do a special 40th birthday cake with servings for 70, with 2 consultations by email and phone on designs, flavors, etc. Aside from regular work with a control freak boss, I have been baking for 3 days and working fondant to make the 11 x 15 cake (4 layer) with fondant decorations (biker wheelchair, walker) the SUX-2B4T licence plate for a party. YESTERDAY, as the second cake was going into the freezer, i get an email from the lady that ordered the cake.. she wants to cancel because her MIL only wants to now pay for a groc store cake!! I hadn't insisted on a deposit (order was referred by a friend) so now, I was flabbergasted.. we don't EAT cake in our house, what the heck am I going to do with all of this cake!!!!! I emailed back that the cake was done except for frosting, and my work wasn't free.. (she had been very, very happy with my price of $90) and I was out the time and money for the ingred. Luckily, she agreed to still take the cake, bu proceded to tell me what every bakery charges for a 30 serv sheet cake.. as if I am going to drop my price down to $30!

I am going to have my DH deliver it.. the last thing I need is some MIL freaking on me and causing a scene because she is cheap.

I have the layers thawing now, and tonight I have to ice it.. and I am terrified something bad will happen (melting?) on the way for delivery tomorrow at 6 after spending the day at work. Did I mention I stupidly agreed to deliver too?????
I have learned... contract, deposit, and delivery fee of have THEM pick it up!!
Wish me good luck, or pass on a tip to get me through it!!
Did I mention this is my first paid cake?
Catherine.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:20pm
post #15 of 20

See what you started Texas! Heheheheh. I am glad to know that it is going around. Did you notice that it is all gals and that we are all trying to juggle 500 things at once while our men go to work, come home, eat, put thier feet up and cannot figure out why we are stresses out. I am sure Doug is not like the men in our homes and is just as frantic as we are HEY DOUG!!! Chime in on this buddy.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #16 of 20

LOL...I know I do more work than my husband and I don't have a job icon_biggrin.gif

This is how my daughter describes her daddy's night at work: "Sit on his butt, watch TV while sitting on his butt, sit on his butt some more, go upstairs and eat while sitting on his butt, go back downstairs (in the elevator) and sit on his butt some more." She told one of our friends that the other day and I thought it was too funny.

On the other hand, my cake is done, I don't have anything unpleasant to do this weekend (other than putting the kitchen back in order and cooking brisket and tater salad tomorrow) and I'm really pleased with the way the cake turned out: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1425266 (I put it in the naughty gallery even though it's really tame compared to my naughty cakes)

lane52403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lane52403 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:53am
post #17 of 20

Texas Rose- I almost spit my soda all over my computer screen when I read your post. So funny...in an it's-so-terrible-that-it's-hysterical sort of way.

BeeBoos- We may be married to the same guy. My husband does the exact same thing. Every pan, measuring cup and dish in the house ends up dirty, not to mention the counter and sometimes the floor, when he has a hankering for Kraft Mac & Cheese.[/quote]

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:34am
post #18 of 20

Hey, CdnTX066 - Here's hoping that the woman (MIL) is SO impressed with your work that she gives your DH a tip for you ... money, that is.

I always compare my costing to a garage ... you don't just pay for the parts, but for the mechanic's time, too ... and some things take longer than others to get right (i.e. the way you want it).

People like that make me want to scream ... IF YOU WANTED A $30 CAKE, YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THE GROCERY STORE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 9:06am
post #19 of 20
Quote:

I WILL HELP YOU KICK HIS A$$$!!!!!!

I don't listen to country music, BUT I Love Toby !!!!
and I ain't talkin about his music!
I would use Texas Roses methods to make him talk.... Oh wait she didn't tell us what her method was..

That is one fine big hunk of man!..

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:20am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I used Mac'sMom's recipe and it was starting to smell wonderful in here...and then...we don't use the f-word in my kitchen (the f-word being fire)...but the cakes overflowed and we had some oven issues.

Now I'm stuck waiting for it to cool down enough to clean out the oven. I can't remember ever overflowing a cake before. icon_sad.gif

Omigosh, Texas_Rose, forgive me for laughing, but holy cow!

And btw, I too had an overflowing cake yesterday morning. I made a pound cake in a bundt pan (have done it many times and it's delicious), but this time the cake was so, um, full-bodied that when I took it out of the oven it looked just like a souffle!

--PianoDiva

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%