How Do I Make Figures Out Of Fondant? Please Help! Thanks :)

Decorating By Neidalee15 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm by majka_ze

Neidalee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neidalee15 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 2

Hello,

I would like to make a pregnant woman figure out of fondant. Can anyone please help me.

Please check out http://www.pinkcakebox.com/speciality-cakes.php

What do I put in the inside to keep it from falling apart?

1 reply
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 2

The most important thing is the consistency of the fondant. Easier then simple fondant would work modelling paste (some gumpaste added to the fondant). But it is still workable with fondant only. I use scratch recipe sugarpaste which was never intended for modelling and still can use it this way. After a while, you get a feel for your recipe/mix/bought fondant.

You can use toothpick inside to help to keep it together, or a piece of raw spagetti. I don't use it at all, because most of my cakes are for families with small children. You can bet a toddler takes the figure and snaps the head off and would try to eat/or breath in the toothpick.

I don't feel it would be necessary in this case to use a toothpick, but it is easier if you do.

Depending on your experience, you can glue the parts together in the right moment - than it doesn't need any additional glue at all. Second later - it needs to be wet with water - hold your finger under water, rub the pieces you want to glue together.
But if your pieces of the figure are too dry, you need some glue. The strongest at all is egg white. I know that bakers in US don't work with it because of salmonella. Next best bet for you (of the pantry shelf) would be either thinned out fondant or thick paste made from powdered sugar and water, or honey.

I would say - take a piece of fondant and try it right away. Don't bother with coloring the fondant, simply start working. Come back when you get a problem. I or somebody else will help you then.

For the real cake - make the figure as soon as you can. This is an advantage of fondant figures - it holds very well. Set it on plastic container (for example) instead of the cake and let it dry. If you can, start so soon, that even if you have disaster - and they happen even after years of cake decorating - you still have time to glue the figure together, rework a part or even do the whole from scratch.

Good luck and let us see your cake when finished!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%